Raising and lowering operators

• Thread starter t_n_p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct method for applying raising and lowering operators to a given wavefunction. The use of the Schrodinger equation and product rule is also discussed in order to simplify the resulting equation.
t_n_p
[SOLVED] raising and lowering operators

Homework Statement

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/2923/85098487ch9.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I expand a+ and a-, introduce the wavefunction and then substitute the values given at the very end to give:

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8224/37075232fm3.jpg

This is where I'm stuck. I can't see how epsilon = 2mE/hbar comes into the equation. Are my initial calculations even correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, I don't think your calculations are right. You are dealing with operators, so you've missed a term when expanding out. What you should do is first apply a- to psi, then apply a+ to that (you'll see any extra term drops out by the product rule).

In order to put the equation in terms of epsilon, I would use the Schroedinger equation that you're given in the question.

Last edited:
i get the same thing if i apply a- to psi and then a+ to that. Am I still doing something wrong?

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/719/11483685tq9.jpg

yes, you do wrong

[tex] A_-\psi (x) = \frac{d\psi}{dx}+ \tanh (x)\psi (x) [/tex]

then [tex] \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{d\psi}{dx}+ \tanh (x)\psi (x)) = \text{??} [/tex]

You're not applying the operator a- to psi properly:

[tex]\hat{A}_-\psi(x)=\left(\frac{d}{dx}+\tanh x\right)\psi=\frac{d\psi}{dx}+\tanh x\cdot\psi [/tex]

Now apply a+ to this.

oh, for some reason I was under the impression the wavefuction is not performed on tanh(x).

I will try again

Ok, cleared that up

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/5826/67746695rh8.jpg

Now I can see from the Schrodinger equation that two of my terms appear similar. I'm not clear as to where to progress from here.

I think you should look at your last line again. I agree with your first two terms, but not the others. Remember that you are expanding:

[tex]\left(-\frac{d}{dx}+\tanh x \right)\left(\frac{d\psi}{dx}+\tanh x\cdot\psi\right) [/tex].

Do this term by term, and then simplify after; it reduces the chance of making mistakes. You should get some cancellations.

Last edited:
Cristo, in my notes it says this..

"In obtaining this result it is importatnt to note that we are dealing with operators, and hence the order in which we operate is critical, whence: (A + B)(C + D) = AC + BC + AD + BD

Ok, so if you expand the brackets according to that rule you get

[tex]-\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{d\psi}{dx}\right)+\tanh x\cdot\frac{d\psi}{dx}-\frac{d}{dx}\left(\tanh x\cdot\psi\right)+\tanh x\cdot\tanh x\cdot \psi \hskip3cm (1)[/tex]

Can you simplify this? Note that the brackets in the third term is a product.

Last edited:
Because of the order of the expansion, I am not 100% sure if the second and third terms can cancel. I think that's what you are hinting at, but I have heard conflicting ideas.

Also,two hints are provided:
1) d/dx (tanhx) = sech^2(x)
2) tanh^2(x) - sech^2(x) = 1-2sech^2(x)

Using these two, I substituted to give what is shown in post #7.

The second and third terms will not cancel entirely! The third term is a product; what would the solution to this be:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(u\cdot v)[/tex] where u and v are functions of x?

using product rule, evaluates to

(d/dx)(tanh(x)(ψ) + (dψ/dx)(tanh(x))

using the equation given above, will yield
ψsech^2(x) + (dψ/dx)(tanh(x))

t_n_p said:
using product rule, evaluates to

(d/dx)(tanh(x)(ψ) + (dψ/dx)(tanh(x))

using the equation given above, will yield
ψsech^2(x) + (dψ/dx)(tanh(x))

Good. Now plug that into Eq. (1) (post #10)

now this is where the schrodinger equation comes in?

t_n_p said:
now this is where the schrodinger equation comes in?

Yes.

Got it.

Thanks

Well done; you're welcome.

1. What are raising and lowering operators?

Raising and lowering operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to shift the energy levels of a quantum system. They are also known as creation and annihilation operators, respectively.

2. How do raising and lowering operators work?

Raising and lowering operators are represented by mathematical expressions that act on quantum states to increase or decrease their energy by a fixed amount. They are essential for understanding the behavior of quantum systems and predicting their properties.

3. What are the applications of raising and lowering operators?

Raising and lowering operators are used in various areas of quantum mechanics, including quantum field theory, quantum optics, and solid-state physics. They are also crucial in solving many mathematical problems in these fields.

4. Can raising and lowering operators be used for any quantum system?

Yes, raising and lowering operators can be applied to any quantum system that exhibits discrete energy levels. They are particularly useful for systems with a finite number of energy levels, such as atoms and molecules.

5. Are there any limitations to using raising and lowering operators?

While raising and lowering operators are powerful tools in quantum mechanics, they have some limitations. They do not account for the effects of external forces or interactions, and they cannot be applied to systems with continuous energy spectra.