Links for Self-Studying Physics by Nobel Laureate 't Hooft

In summary, the conversation discusses a website recommended by one of the participants for becoming a theoretical physicist. They express their excitement and gratitude for the website and mention finding it through a paper version of the New Scientist. They also mention a link to an interview with the creator of the website and recommend MIT courses for further study. Another participant expresses their enthusiasm for the website and shares their experience with self-studying physics.
Oberst Villa
He says it is for becoming a theoretical physicist, but it includes lots of stuff that every physicist needs to know.

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html

Physics news on Phys.org
GREAT site!

Thanks!

Thank this is so great. I would love to explore more this website!

DUDE THIS IS AWESOME;
where do you get links like this, it would take me 3 hours on google to get a site like this

Very interesting. Thank you very much for sharing this!

St. Aegis said:
DUDE THIS IS AWESOME;
where do you get links like this, it would take me 3 hours on google to get a site like this

I have to admit I found it in a rather old fashioned way - paper version of the New Scientist a few years ago. Here is a link to the accompanying interview with 't Hooft (sadly only for those who happen to be subscribers to New Scientist): http://space.newscientist.com/article/mg18725151.900

By the way, if you liked this material, you might also be interested in the MIT courses, also here in this forum https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=150759 - now THAT is some hot stuff !

Yay! I love this page!

I'm fifteen and I've been self-studying physics for a couple of years now. This page helped me know where to start, what to cover and where to go; I'm glad others can benefit from it, too!

1. What is the purpose of "Links for Self-Studying Physics by Nobel Laureate 't Hooft"?

The purpose of this resource is to provide a curated list of links to online materials that can help individuals study physics on their own. These links have been hand-selected by Nobel Laureate Gerard 't Hooft and cover a wide range of topics in physics.

2. Who is Gerard 't Hooft?

Gerard 't Hooft is a Dutch theoretical physicist who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1999 for his work on the theory of electroweak interactions. He is known for his contributions to quantum field theory, gauge theories, and black hole physics.

3. What types of materials are included in the links?

The links include a variety of materials such as lecture notes, textbooks, video lectures, problem sets, and interactive simulations. These materials cover topics in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, relativity, thermodynamics, and more.

4. Are these links suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, these links are suitable for beginners as well as more advanced students. They cover a wide range of topics and can be helpful for those just starting to learn about physics as well as those looking to deepen their understanding of specific concepts.

5. Are the links free to access?

Yes, the majority of the links included in this resource are free to access. However, some may require a subscription or purchase of a textbook or course materials. It is recommended to check the individual links for any associated costs.