Make AC Electromagnet: Tips & Tricks From Experts

In summary, the speaker is trying to create an AC electromagnet and is looking for resources to ensure they are on the right track. They have a coil and core but the magnetic field is not strong enough. They are advised to use a soft iron core and increase the turns and current for better results. The speaker also mentions the possibility of using a high power resistor to avoid shorting the power supply. They also suggest using a horseshoe shaped core and wrapping the wire in a particular direction to create N and S poles. The purpose and frequency response of a DC electromagnet is also questioned, with the mention of various magnetic materials available for different purposes.
mike dana
I'm trying to make an AC electromagnet (better frequency response compared to DC electromagnets) I could not find any document, book, or source to check if I'm on the right way or not. I have a coil and a core and working on them to increase magnetic field, right now it is not high enough. Anyone having experience?
Thanks a lot
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
More turns and higher current make it stronger. The core needs to be soft iron for best results. If you get a nice long think wire wrapped round a core and plug it into the mains it works very well, however its dangerous! and I wouldn't advise it. (If you use a low resistance high power resistor in the circuit you won't short out your supply.)
Also you could get a horce shoe shaed core and wrap the wire round one side and then in the opposite direction on the other side to make a N and S pole.

What what purpose? How can a 'DC' electromagnet have a frequency response??

There are lots of magnetic materials for a variety of uses up into the microwave region.. Ferrites and powdered iron.

1. How does an AC electromagnet differ from a DC electromagnet?

An AC electromagnet uses alternating current to generate a changing magnetic field, while a DC electromagnet uses direct current to maintain a constant magnetic field. This difference affects the strength and direction of the magnetic field produced.

2. What materials are needed to make an AC electromagnet?

You will need a coil of insulated wire, a power source (such as a battery or AC power supply), and a ferromagnetic core (such as iron or steel) to make an AC electromagnet.

3. How do you determine the number of turns in the coil for an AC electromagnet?

The number of turns in the coil will depend on the desired strength of the magnetic field. More turns will result in a stronger magnetic field, but also a higher resistance and lower current. The optimal number of turns can be calculated using the formula N= (μ0 * μr * A * N * I) / (l * B), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, μr is the relative permeability of the core material, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, N is the number of turns, I is the current, l is the length of the core, and B is the desired magnetic field strength.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making an AC electromagnet?

Yes, it is important to use insulated wire and to handle the power source carefully to avoid electrocution. Also, be conscious of the heat generated by the coil and ensure proper ventilation to prevent overheating.

5. What are some applications of AC electromagnets?

AC electromagnets have a variety of uses, such as in transformers, generators, motors, and speakers. They are also used in industrial and scientific equipment for tasks such as picking up metal objects, separating materials, and measuring magnetic fields.