Scientific Revolution: Newtonian Physics - gravity waiting to be discovered?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether gravity was waiting to be discovered or was it an intellectual construct particular to the 17th century and Newton. The participants also mention Newton's contribution to understanding gravity and how it was not a new concept, as the word "gravity" was used in the middle-ages. They also mention the misconception that Newton discovered gravity and clarify that he worked out the mathematical expression of the force of gravity between two bodies. The conversation ends with a light-hearted comment about the discovery of gravity being linked to the discovery of beer.
Kristie29

Homework Statement

Im doing a philosophy, history and politics of science subject and the question is whether gravity was waiting to be discovered or was it an intellectual construct particular to the 17th century and Newton.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm reading the relevant literature that has been presented to my by my tutor, but I'm finding it hard to come to a concrete solution, mostly due to the fact I don't have a firm idea of what other scientists/physicists were doing at the time. I'm new to the whole field so I was just wondering of anyone had any ideas (not to answer the question for me) but just to give me some things to think about, any info on this period of time, peoples own personal thoughts?
So far I can only come up with the thought that if Newton had not come up with his theory that someone else might have come up with something similar but not exactly the same, and this could be due to different influences, interests and/or other facts particular to other scientists. Sorry this isn't a technical physics-specific question but I thought it would be a good place to ask. :) Thanks so much for your time :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Kristie29 said:
… the question is whether gravity was waiting to be discovered or was it an intellectual construct particular to the 17th century and Newton.

Hi Kristie29! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I think it depends what you mean by "gravity".

Everyone knew that things are attracted to the Earth.

And they knew that the Earth is round, so they knew that gravity acts in different directions at different latitudes … in other words, it always acts towards the centre of the Earth.

What Newton pointed out was that the Moon … which at first sight is obviously not attracted to the Earth … is in fact continually falling, just like any terrestrial object. :smile:

How you apply that to answering the question is up to you… :wink:

The fact that Newton discovered gravity is a misconception.
What Newton did was to assume that the force that attracts objects to the Earth is UNIVERSAL. It acts between any two bodies.
The law of gravity is usually called "Newton's law of universal gravity" but the "universal" part of it is usually overlooked.
Newton also worked out the mathematical expression of the force of gravity between two bodies.

Note: The word "gravity" itself is much older than Newton (it was used in the middle-ages)

tiny-tim said:
Hi Kristie29! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I think it depends what you mean by "gravity".

Everyone knew that things are attracted to the Earth.

nasu said:
Note: The word "gravity" itself is much older than Newton (it was used in the middle-ages)
'Cause they kept falling down! Gravity was discovered just after the discovery of beer!

Thanks so much for all your help guys it put me in the right direction! :)

1. What is the Scientific Revolution?

The Scientific Revolution was a period of major advancements in science and mathematics that took place in Europe during the 16th and 17th centuries. It was characterized by a shift from traditional beliefs and methods to a more empirical and experimental approach to understanding the natural world.

2. Who were the key figures of the Scientific Revolution?

Some of the most notable figures of the Scientific Revolution include Nicolaus Copernicus, Galileo Galilei, Johannes Kepler, and Isaac Newton. These scientists made groundbreaking discoveries and theories in fields such as astronomy, physics, and mathematics.

3. What is Newtonian physics?

Newtonian physics, also known as classical mechanics, is a branch of physics developed by Isaac Newton that explains the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is based on three laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation, which states that all objects in the universe are attracted to each other by a force called gravity.

4. How did Newton discover gravity?

Newton discovered gravity through his famous thought experiment of an apple falling from a tree. He realized that the same force that causes the apple to fall also keeps the moon in orbit around the Earth. He then developed the law of universal gravitation to explain this phenomenon.

5. How did Newtonian physics impact the world?

The discoveries and theories of Newtonian physics had a profound impact on the world. They provided a framework for understanding the laws of motion and the behavior of objects in the universe, leading to advancements in technology, engineering, and other fields. Newton's work also laid the foundation for modern physics and influenced future scientists and their research.