Alternating magnetic field

In summary, the disk experiences an induced current density as a function of the distance from the axis of the disk. The direction of the current is determined by the changing magnetic field.
FourierX

Homework Statement

A conducting disk (very thin) of thickness h, diameter D, and conductivity [tex]\sigma[/tex] is placed in a uniform alternating magnetic field B = Bosin[tex]\omega[/tex]t parallel to the axis of the disk.
Determine the induced current density as a function of the distance from the axis of the disk. Also mention the direction of the current.

Homework Equations

[tex]\oint[/tex]B.da = [tex]\mu_o[/tex] Ienc

The Attempt at a Solution

From ampere's law, i derirved [tex]\nabla[/tex]xB = [tex]\mu_o[/tex]J. Is my approach correct ? How do i make use of thickness, diameter and conductivity of the disk?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FourierX,

Your relevant equation, Ampere's law, might not be very helpful here. I suggest you use Faraday's law of induction instead. The relation between the electric field and current density, J = sigma*E might also come in handy.

Good luck,

Wynand.

Thank for the reply. But i wonder how?

Hi,

You've got to ask yourself the following questions: Which phenomenon am I dealing with here? What is the CHANGING (clue) magnetic field going to do to the conducting disk? In general, what do changing magnetic fields do?

Hope this helps,

Wynand.

Thanks bud!

Ok, here is what i did.

-calculated the flux (area of the disk times the magnetic field)
- used Faraday's law (emf = negative time derivative of magnetic flux)
- I = emf/R = emf (conductivity)

does it seem correct? So far the, the current is expressed as a function of time. Any idea on how to express it as a function of distance from the axis of the disk?

No problem!

Spot on with steps 1 and 2 of your calculations.

Okay, according to the problem statement we should calculate the current density J as a function of the distance from the disk's axis, so I don't think you need to worry about finding the current I.

So, from step 2 of your calculations we need to get to J as a function of the time derivative of the flux and the distance from the disk's axis.

Now, a changing magnetic field not only induces an emf, but also an Electric field, E. If you can find the relationship between those (hint: it involves a line integral around a closed path), and use the relationship between E and J, i.e. J = conductivity*E, then your problem is basically solved.

You'll notice that the thickness h of the disk won't appear in your answer for J. If you were required to calculate I, the current, instead, then it would appear in your answer for that.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Wynand.

1. What is an alternating magnetic field?

An alternating magnetic field is a type of electromagnetic field that constantly changes direction and magnitude. This change occurs at a specific frequency, and is created by an alternating current passing through a conductor.

2. How is an alternating magnetic field different from a static magnetic field?

A static magnetic field remains constant in direction and magnitude, while an alternating magnetic field constantly changes. Additionally, a static magnetic field is created by a permanent magnet, while an alternating magnetic field is created by an alternating current.

3. What are some applications of alternating magnetic fields?

Alternating magnetic fields have numerous applications in various industries. They are used in transformers to change the voltage of an electrical current, in motors and generators to produce mechanical energy, and in induction heating to melt metals. They are also used in medical devices such as MRI machines and in wireless charging technology.

4. How is an alternating magnetic field measured?

The strength and direction of an alternating magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device uses a magnetized needle or a digital sensor to detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

5. Can an alternating magnetic field be harmful to humans?

In general, alternating magnetic fields are not harmful to humans at low frequencies and strengths. However, exposure to high frequencies and strengths can potentially interfere with the body's natural electromagnetic fields and cause health issues. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when working with or around alternating magnetic fields.