Vertical Circular Motion problem (Carnival)

In summary, a young child wants to ride The Rocket at a carnival and the person taking her has just finished a physics course. They decide to calculate the speed of the ride, using the equations for tangential and radial acceleration. After drawing a circle and decomposing the components, they use the equations Fr=T + mgsin(theta)=mv^2/R and Ft=mgcos(theta) = ma(tangential). Using the known values of theta, radius, and time, they calculate the acceleration and then use it to solve for the velocity using the angular velocity equation. After some confusion and guidance from others, they also take into account the effective radius of the ride to accurately calculate the acceleration.

Homework Statement

You've taken your neighbor's young child to the carnival to ride the rides. She wants to ride The Rocket. Eight rocket shaped cars hang by chains from the outside edge of a large steel disk. A vertical axle through the center of the ride turns the disk, causing the cars to revolve in a circle. You've just finished taking physics, so you decide to figure out the speed of the cars while you wait. You estimate that the disk is 4.19 m in diameter and the chains are 7.55 m long. The ride takes 13.9 s to reach full speed, then the cars swing out until the chains are 18.4° from vertical. What is the car's speed?

Homework Equations

Fr= mv^2/r
Ft=gcos(theta)=ma(tangential)

Known-> (theta) = 18.4
(radius)= (4.19/2)+7.55 = 9.645
(time) = 13.90s

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a circle and decomposed the components, got the radial axis and the tangential axis equations as shown below:
Fr=T + mgsin(theta)=mv^2/R
Ft=mgcos(theta) = ma(tangential)

For Ft I subbed in all the known values, got a"t" = 9.299m/s^2, then I'm kind of lost, don't really know what's next, but i did gave some thought on the "Angular velocity equation" (Wf=Wi + at/R*(∆t)) figure "Wi" then i should be able to use V=Wr to figure out its velocity...

Thankyou for taking the time to read this,
it would be great if you guys could guide me through this problem,
i would love to learn how to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I lied. Force is prob the easier way

Last edited:
Hi first of all thankyou so much for replying this post,
since I'm actually not very bright in physics,
would you mind further clarifying your method of approach? (ie how would you get acceleration in the first place without using forces?)

thankyou

PS: and the angular velocity,
i don't know where to start with all the given variables, I'm truly lost..

Let me go edit someone's philosophy paper first. ._. I will be back.

I just reread the question, wonder if my approach is the right one. Hmm. I shall be back

It turn out the essay is 3 pages long..so I guess this would be quicker.

We know that the mass at the end of the chain is in equilibrium

so Tcos([tex]\theta[/tex])=mg [formula 1]
Tsin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = mar=mv^2/r [formula 2]

r = sin (Length of chain sin [tex]\theta[/tex] + radius of the disk)

and then you sub r into mv^2/r ==> a

A trick with these problem is to division of the Tcos [tex]\theta[/tex] function by the Tsin [tex]\theta[/tex] function (formula 1/formula 3). So you will get

tan [tex]\theta[/tex] = a/g

you know a and g, and theta is given...so you can solve for v

Hunterbender said:
r = sin (Length of chain sin [tex]\theta[/tex] + radius of the disk)

Why are you adding the radius of the disk to the angle all within the sin function?

NBAJam100 said:
Why are you adding the radius of the disk to the angle all within the sin function?

because the effective radius is the radius of the disk and the horizontal part of the chain. Since the chain is lifted up (due to the rotation), the sin theta portion also contribute to the radius.

i still don't get it ... damn.. =(...
im really a physics noob

*shouldn;t it be Tsin(theta) =mg and TCos(theta) =mv^2/R?
*How would u get the acceleration even u have these 2 equations? since you would need the acceleration to figure out the theta, then to figure out the velocity ...

1. What is vertical circular motion in the context of a carnival ride?

Vertical circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path while also changing its vertical position. In the context of a carnival ride, this refers to rides such as roller coasters or ferris wheels where the riders experience both circular motion and changes in their height.

2. What causes the feeling of weightlessness during vertical circular motion rides?

The feeling of weightlessness during vertical circular motion rides is caused by the centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. As the ride moves in a circular path, the centripetal force acts on the riders, making them feel weightless.

3. How is the speed of a rider on a vertical circular motion ride determined?

The speed of a rider on a vertical circular motion ride is determined by the radius of the circular path and the time it takes for the rider to complete one full revolution. This can be calculated using the formula v = 2πr/t, where v is the speed, r is the radius, and t is the time.

4. How does the angle of the ride affect the forces experienced by the riders?

The angle of the ride, or the angle of incline, affects the forces experienced by the riders by changing the direction and magnitude of the centripetal force. A steeper angle will result in a greater centripetal force, making the riders feel heavier, while a shallower angle will result in a smaller centripetal force, making the riders feel lighter.

5. What safety precautions are taken to ensure the safety of riders on vertical circular motion rides?

To ensure the safety of riders on vertical circular motion rides, a number of safety precautions are taken such as regular maintenance and inspections of the ride, proper safety restraints and harnesses for riders, and strict weight and height restrictions. Additionally, the rides are designed with appropriate speeds and angles to prevent excessive forces on the riders.