Existence of (complex) limit z->0 (z^a)

In summary, the author attempts to find the limit of z^a as z approaches 0 for complex values of a by using the polar form z = reiθ and simplifying the expression. However, they realize a mistake and request for suggestions on how to proceed.
Knissp

Homework Statement

Justify for which complex values of a does the principal value of [tex]z^a[/tex] have a limit as z tends to 0?

Homework Equations

[tex]z^a = e^{a log(z)} [/tex]

[tex]log(z) = log|z| + (i) (arg(z)) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]Lim_{z \rightarrow 0} z^a = Lim_{z \rightarrow 0} e^{(a) (log(z))} [/tex]

[tex]=Lim_{|z| \rightarrow 0} e^{(a) (log|z|) + (i) (a) (arg(z))}[/tex]

Let [tex]a = u + i v [/tex].

[tex]=Lim_{|z| \rightarrow 0} e^{(u+iv) (log|z| + (i) (u+iv) (arg(z)))}[/tex]

[tex]=Lim_{|z| \rightarrow 0} e^{(u) (log|z|) + (i) (v) (log|z|) + (i) (u) (arg(z)) - (v) (arg(z))}[/tex]

[tex]=Lim_{|z| \rightarrow 0} e^{(u) (log|z|)} e^{(i) (v) (log|z|)} e^{(i) (u) (arg(z))} e^{-v (arg(z))}[/tex]

[tex]=Lim_{|z| \rightarrow 0} |z|^u e^{(i) (v) (log|z|)} e^{((i) (u) - (v)) (arg(z))}[/tex]

I just noticed a big mistake here, so I'm erasing this part. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Knissp! :wink:

Isn't it easier just to go polar, and put z = re ? :smile:

1. What is the definition of the complex limit z->0 (z^a)?

The complex limit z->0 (z^a) is defined as the value that a function approaches as the input variable z approaches 0 in the complex plane. In other words, it is the value that the function gets closer and closer to as z gets closer and closer to 0.

2. How is the complex limit z->0 (z^a) different from a real limit?

The complex limit z->0 (z^a) is different from a real limit because it takes into account both the real and imaginary components of the complex number z. In a real limit, only the real component is considered.

3. Can the complex limit z->0 (z^a) exist if a is a complex number?

Yes, the complex limit z->0 (z^a) can exist if a is a complex number. In fact, it is often the case that a complex exponent leads to a complex limit, as the function may oscillate or have multiple possible values as z gets closer to 0.

4. How can I determine the existence of the complex limit z->0 (z^a)?

The existence of the complex limit z->0 (z^a) can be determined by taking the limit along various paths in the complex plane and checking if the limit is the same for all paths. If the limit is the same, then the complex limit exists. If the limit is different for different paths, then the complex limit does not exist.

5. What are some applications of the complex limit z->0 (z^a)?

The complex limit z->0 (z^a) has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in the study of complex functions and is essential in complex analysis. It also has applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.