Artificial gravity in a washing machine

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the strength of artificial gravity on clothes in a washing machine's drum. The method of using centripetal acceleration is suggested, but the answer may not be accurate as centrifugal acceleration is actually an artificial force. The attempted solution involves converting units and using the formula acp=rw2, but the desired answer is not obtained. The concept of a specific gravity for a washing machine is also questioned.
agadag

Homework Statement

If a washing machine's drum has a radius of 26 cm and spins at 4 rev/s, what is the strength of the artificial gravity to which the clothes are subjected? Express your answer as a multiple of g.

Homework Equations

w = distance/time
w= (angular velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically changed the units. (cm to m) and ( rev/sec to rad/sec) and tried to solve for w and dividing by 9.8. However this is not the answer. I am not sure I am even on the right track to solve the question. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find the acceleration of the clothes.

Centripetal acceleration is defined as

ac=v2/r

So the velocity in metres/second divided by the radius.

You get the centripetal acceleration, and that should do it. What it's really asking for is centrifugal acceleration, but in reality there's no such thing. Centrifugal acceleration is an artificial force that only exists in accelerating reference frames.

So i did v2/r and I divided that number by 9.8 since it asks for a multiple of G. I did not get the answer. I also do not understand why you say it should be centripedal and not centrifugal

Well for your purposes you should use centrifugal. I'm just saying that in reality there's no such thing.

Also, that's odd. Are you sure you used metres per second?

yea
the definition for acp=r w2
so i got .026m * (25.132rad/sec)2 = 16.422
then i divided that number by 9.8...it didn't work :(
any ideas??

So, you are getting the gravity of a washing machine? I don't think there is an specific gravity of a washing machine. But maybe with the help of formula, you can get it's gravity.

What is artificial gravity in a washing machine?

Artificial gravity in a washing machine refers to the simulated gravitational force that is created within the machine to mimic the effects of gravity on clothing during the washing cycle.

Why is artificial gravity used in washing machines?

Artificial gravity is used in washing machines to help distribute the clothing evenly throughout the machine, allowing for a more thorough and efficient wash. It also helps prevent tangling and reduces the strain on the machine's motor.

How is artificial gravity created in a washing machine?

Artificial gravity is created in a washing machine through the use of a spinning drum and centrifugal force. The spinning motion of the drum creates a force that pushes the clothing towards the outer walls, mimicking the effects of gravity.

What are the benefits of artificial gravity in a washing machine?

The benefits of artificial gravity in a washing machine include more effective and efficient cleaning, reduced wear and tear on clothing, and decreased strain on the machine's motor. It can also help prevent tangling and ensure that all clothing is evenly washed.

Are there any risks associated with artificial gravity in a washing machine?

No, there are no known risks associated with artificial gravity in a washing machine. It is a common and safe feature used in many modern washing machines to improve the washing process.