Finding a friction force (ladder leaning against a wall )

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force of friction applied by the floor to a ladder, given the actual coefficient of friction is 1.5 times larger than its value. The relationship between force and friction is highlighted, and the formula for calculating the force of static friction is mentioned. The speaker also mentions their previous calculations and asks for help determining the force N_1. They provide a formula for the minimum friction force, which includes the variables cot(theta), L, m_2, M_1, g, d, and m_d.
Linus Pauling
MTS_st_0.jpg

Suppose that the actual coefficent of friction is one and a half times as large as the value of . That is, . Under these circumstances, what is the magnitude of the force of friction that the floor applies to the ladder?
Express your answer in terms of , , , , , and . Remember to pay attention to the relation of force and .

2. static friction = magnitude of force in x direction, opposite sign

3. Ok, I had two exams today and I just almost went crazy calculating the the minimum friction force so that this ladder won't slip (brutal, but I did it). I am burnt out. How do I calculate N_1 here? It's the only force in the x direction other than friction, right? So by Newton's 2nd law the answer should just be friction = 1.5N_1, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please tell me wha t are the know data.

... that picture has everything except that calculated minimum friction force, which is:

cot(theta) * (Lgm_2 + M_1gd - 0.5m_dLg * (Lgm_1 + Lgm_2)^-1

1. What is friction force and how does it affect a ladder leaning against a wall?

Friction force is the resistance force between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. In the case of a ladder leaning against a wall, friction force is what keeps the ladder from slipping or sliding down the wall.

2. How can I calculate the friction force between a ladder and a wall?

The friction force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the materials of the ladder and the wall by the normal force, which is the force exerted by the ladder on the wall.

3. What factors can affect the friction force between a ladder and a wall?

The coefficient of friction, the weight of the ladder, and the angle at which the ladder is leaning against the wall can all affect the friction force. Roughness of the surfaces and any external forces can also have an impact.

4. How can I reduce the friction force between a ladder and a wall?

The friction force can be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as plastic or rubber, between the ladder and the wall. Additionally, decreasing the angle at which the ladder is leaning against the wall can also reduce the friction force.

5. Is friction force always necessary for a ladder leaning against a wall?

No, friction force is not always necessary for a ladder leaning against a wall. It depends on the materials of the ladder and the wall, as well as the angle at which the ladder is leaning. In some cases, the ladder may be able to stay in place without friction force, but it is always recommended to have some form of friction force for safety reasons.