When A Mass is Falling from an Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a mass being released on a smooth plane inclined at 14 degrees to the horizontal. The first part of the question asks for the time and velocity of the mass as it travels 1m down the incline. The second part of the question involves the mass leaving the plane and falling to the ground, with a request for the velocity and angle at which it strikes the floor. The response explains that the mass will start as a free-falling projectile with the same velocity as in the first part of the motion.
Procrastinate
A mass M is released from rest on a smooth plane inclined to the horizontal at 14 degrees. Find the time taken for the mass to travel 1m down the incline and the velocit attained at the end of that time.

I had no trouble with the first part - measuring the velocity and time for the part where it slides down the inclined plane.

However, the part where I am having trouble with is attempting to find the angle in which the mass makes with the ground and its line of motion when it completes the second part of its journey.

Anyone have any hints to do this? I drew a free body force diagram but I was really confused with the lines of motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Procrastinate! :smile:
Procrastinate said:
A mass M is released from rest on a smooth plane inclined to the horizontal at 14 degrees. Find the time taken for the mass to travel 1m down the incline and the velocit attained at the end of that time.

I had no trouble with the first part - measuring the velocity and time for the part where it slides down the inclined plane.

However, the part where I am having trouble with is attempting to find the angle in which the mass makes with the ground and its line of motion when it completes the second part of its journey.

Sorry, I don't understand what the second part of the question is. :confused:

Is the mass leaving the plane? If so, how and why?

(if the plane just comes to and end, then the mass is simply a projectile with the initial speed you found in the first part, at the same angel as the plane)

tiny-tim said:
Hi Procrastinate! :smile:

Sorry, I don't understand what the second part of the question is. :confused:

Is the mass leaving the plane? If so, how and why?

(if the plane just comes to and end, then the mass is simply a projectile with the initial speed you found in the first part, at the same angel as the plane)

Sorry, I think I must have looked over a part of the question and forgot to write it down.

A mass is released from rest 2m from the edge of a smooth plane inclined at 26 degrees to the horizontal. After reaching he edge of the plane, the mass falls to the floor,, 2m below.

Find the velocity and and the angle at which the mass strikes to the floor.

I just need a quick explanation of what happens when the mass is falling. Does it maintain the same angle, or does it change? Obviously, it changes because the answer is completely different angle but I just need to know how and I can complete the rest of the question. Thank you.

Procrastinate said:
Sorry, I think I must have looked over a part of the question and forgot to write it down.

he he :rofl:
… After reaching he edge of the plane, the mass falls to the floor,, 2m below.

I just need a quick explanation of what happens when the mass is falling.

It's a free-falling projectile. It starts with the same velocity that the previous part of the motion finished with. :wink:

(ignore reference to angel o:) in my previous post! :biggrin:)

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the speed of a falling mass?

The angle of the inclined plane does not affect the speed of a falling mass. The only factors that affect the speed are the gravitational acceleration and the initial height of the mass.

2. Does the mass of the object affect its acceleration on an inclined plane?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect its acceleration on an inclined plane. The greater the mass of the object, the greater the force of gravity acting on it, resulting in a greater acceleration down the plane.

3. How does friction play a role in the motion of a falling mass on an inclined plane?

Friction can play a significant role in the motion of a falling mass on an inclined plane. If there is friction present, it will act against the motion of the mass, causing it to slow down. The amount of friction depends on the type of surface the mass is sliding on.

4. Can the initial velocity of a falling mass be manipulated on an inclined plane?

Yes, the initial velocity of a falling mass on an inclined plane can be manipulated by giving the mass an initial push or by changing the angle of the inclined plane. The greater the initial velocity, the faster the mass will travel down the plane.

5. What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the distance traveled by a falling mass?

The angle of the inclined plane does not have a direct relationship with the distance traveled by a falling mass. The distance traveled is determined by the initial height of the mass and the angle of the plane only affects the speed of the mass, not the distance.