Work and Power of pulling student

In summary, a student pulls a 50.0 Newton weight along the table top for a distance of 10.0 meters in 4.0 seconds and develops a power of 30. J/s.
Ki-nana18

Homework Statement

Using a force of 12.0 Newtons, a student pulls a 50.0 Newton weight along the table top for a distance of 10.0 meters in 4.0 seconds. Compute the power developed by the student.

Homework Equations

W=Fcos(theta)d
P=W/t

The Attempt at a Solution

W=(12.0)(cos(50))(10)
W=115.8 J

P=115.8/4.0
P=28.95 J/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Ki-nana18 said:
W=(12.0)(cos(50))(10)
Where did you get the angle = 50°?

I thought since the weight is 50, that was the angle. So it should just be (12.0 N)(10.0 m) which equals 120. J? Then the power will be 120.J/4.0s which will equal 30. J/s or watts, I presume?

Ki-nana18 said:
I thought since the weight is 50, that was the angle.
No, you cannot draw any such conclusion. The angle in question is that between the force and the displacement. Assuming the force is exerted in the direction of the displacement (parallel to the table top) then the angle will be 0.
So it should just be (12.0 N)(10.0 m) which equals 120. J? Then the power will be 120.J/4.0s which will equal 30. J/s or watts, I presume?
Right, assuming an angle of 0° as discussed above.

Like Doc Al had pointed out, your confusion is with the concept of weight.

Weight is simply the gravitational force applied to an object with a given mass.

If I told you I had an object whos weight was 29.4N then it's mass would simply be 3kg.

Can you see how I was able to solve for the mass?

You must have a clear understanding of the difference between weight and mass and the properties they contain before moving on so hammer this stuff into your head!

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how you were able to solve for mass. How did you do that?:uhh:

Weight = mass*g

Given the weight of an object, you can solve for its mass and vice versa.

Thank you for all clarification! :smile:

1. What is the meaning of work and power in relation to pulling a student?

Work and power are two important concepts in the field of physics that describe the amount of force and energy required to move an object. In the context of pulling a student, work refers to the physical effort exerted to move the student from one location to another, while power is the rate at which work is done.

2. How is work calculated when pulling a student?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to pull the student by the distance the student is moved. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. For example, if a student weighing 100 pounds is pulled a distance of 10 feet with a force of 50 pounds, the work done would be 500 foot-pounds.

3. What factors affect the amount of work and power needed to pull a student?

The amount of work and power required to pull a student can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the student, the distance they need to be pulled, and the type of surface they are being pulled on. Additionally, the amount of friction between the student and the surface can impact the amount of force and energy needed to pull them.

4. How does the angle of pull affect the work and power required to move a student?

The angle of pull can have a significant impact on the amount of work and power needed to move a student. When pulling a student at an angle, the force is split into two components: one that is parallel to the direction of motion and one that is perpendicular. The parallel component is responsible for doing the actual work, while the perpendicular component does not contribute to the movement and therefore does not require any additional power.

5. What is the relationship between work and power when pulling a student?

Work and power have a direct relationship when pulling a student. The more work that is done, the more power is required to do it in a given amount of time. This can be seen in the equation P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. This means that if the work is constant, increasing the power will result in the work being done faster. However, if the power is constant, it will take longer to do the work.