Where Does the Lost Energy of Redshifted Photons Go?

In summary, the photons that are reaching Earth are losing energy due to the EM-spectre. Classical physics explains the red- and blue-shift of these photons as a result of the Doppler effect, but only cosmological red-shift is due to the expansion of space on cosmological distances. The lost energy goes into the gravitational field, but it's not clear what this field is supposed to be in a homogeneous and isotropic cosmology.
Bjarne
Light (photons) that are reaching Earth after traveling billion of years, - the EM-spectre have become redshift.

This means that photons must be losing energy.

But energy can’t be lost, - so where is that “lost of photon-energy”?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A short answer in the context of classical physics would be, that the red- and blue-shift of photons is due to the Doppler effect, which again is due to the relative speed between source and sink of the photon. If you in this context look at the energy and momentum transferred by a photon between two reference frames in relative motion it actually fits with the conservation law of energy and momentum.

Same can be said about gravitational red-shift (i.e. that no energy is lost), so that only leaves cosmological red-shift which is due to the expansion of space on cosmological distances, which I hope someone else can give a nice short answer on :smile:

Same can be said about gravitational red-shift (i.e. that no energy is lost), so that only leaves cosmological red-shift which is due to the expansion of space on cosmological distances
Oh, you can break cosmological redshift down to doppler and gravitational redshift, too. But the procedure becomes ambiguous if spacetime changes strongly with time - you can neither define what "at rest" means nor what the gravitational potential should be.

Maybe it's safer to say that energy conservation is a provable mathematical theorem that relies on the time invariance of the description of your system. If your description changes with time (as in cosmology), so may energy. Energy conservation is no longer valid.

A more comforting viewpoint seems to be that the lost energy goes into the gravitational field. It's true in a sense, except that you can't unambiguously define the energy of gravitation in GR.

Ich said:
A more comforting viewpoint seems to be that the lost energy goes into the gravitational field. It's true in a sense, except that you can't unambiguously define the energy of gravitation in GR.
I've also heard this explanation, but I've always been confused about just what the gravitational field is supposed to be in a homogeneous and isotropic cosmology.

I've also heard this explanation, but I've always been confused about just what the gravitational field is supposed to be in a homogeneous and isotropic cosmology.
"Field" not a vector field like in Newtonian standard terminology. It's tensorial in GR, so not necessarily directional, thus isotropy is not a problem.

Thanks Ich, but that's not what I mean. I understand GR fine. But the gravitational field in GR is the gradient of the metric. This vanishes in a homogeneous and isotropic spacetime.

Ich wrote: A more comforting viewpoint seems to be that the lost energy goes into the gravitational field. It's true in a sense, except that you can't unambiguously define the energy of gravitation in GR.

OK, - this is what I thought, - it’s a dead end ?
I was speculated in the possibility: what when also distances are relative. This could solve the problem, - but of course also only speculation.

But the gravitational field in GR is the gradient of the metric. This vanishes in a homogeneous and isotropic spacetime.
If by "gradient of the metric" you mean the Christoffel symbols: they do not all vanish in a FRW metric.

what when also distances are relative. This could solve the problem
Distances are relative, as are velocities. That's why I could give three different "explanations" for the phenomenon.

Ich said:
If by "gradient of the metric" you mean the Christoffel symbols: they do not all vanish in a FRW metric.
Right. I guess my point is that there are no non-vanishing spatial gradients of the metric. The nonzero connection terms are all functions of time ([tex]\dot{a}/a[/tex] to be exact). I've always identified the Newtonian perturbation, [tex]\Phi({\bf x},t)[/tex] (eg from the definition [tex]g_{00} = 1 + 2\Phi[/tex]) as giving rise to the gravitational field. Are you suggesting that we identify the nonzero connection terms with the gravitational field?

I've always identified the Newtonian perturbation, [itex]\Phi({\\bf x},t[/itex]) (eg from the definition [itex]g_{00} = 1 + 2\\Phi[/itex] ) as giving rise to the gravitational field.
Yes, that's what I meant with "Newtonian standard terminology". It's a 3D vector field, as a gradient of a scalar potential. Such things vanish necessarily in the homogeneous case.
Are you suggesting that we identify the nonzero connection terms with the gravitational field?
I was struggling a bit with your terminology, and this was the closest thing to a "gradient of the metric". I think it's not unusual to think of it as the "gravitational field", analoguous to the Newtonian case. The important point is that you can't use spatial symmetry to argue that the "field", and with it the energy, vanishes.
Whatever, they appear in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landau-Lifgarbagez_pseudotensor" , and that is what I had in mind with my statement concerning the "energy of the gravitational field".

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is photon energy?

Photon energy refers to the energy carried by a single photon, which is a fundamental particle of light. It is a measure of the electromagnetic radiation's energy, and is directly proportional to the frequency of the radiation.

2. How is photon energy calculated?

The energy of a photon can be calculated using the equation E = hf, where E is the energy in joules, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds), and f is the frequency of the radiation in hertz.

3. What happens to energy when a photon is absorbed or emitted?

When a photon is absorbed by a material, its energy is transferred to the material, causing it to gain energy. On the other hand, when a photon is emitted, the material loses energy and the photon carries that energy away.

4. Can photon energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, photon energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical energy in solar cells. This conversion occurs when photons strike certain materials and transfer their energy to electrons, causing them to flow and produce electricity.

5. How is energy lost in the form of photons?

Energy can be lost in the form of photons through a process called emission. This occurs when an excited atom or molecule releases excess energy in the form of photons as it returns to its ground state. This can happen through various mechanisms, such as thermal emission, fluorescence, or phosphorescence.