Groups of permutations and cyclic groups

In summary, a group of permutations is essentially a group of 1-1 functions from a set of elements onto itself, and can be expressed as the product of disjoint cycles. The direction of evaluation may vary, but the cycles usually go from left to right. The starting element and order of the cycles does not affect the final result.
yaganon
1: Is a group of permutations basically the same as a group of functions? As far as I know, they have the same properties: associativity, identity function, and inverses.

2: I don't understand how you convert cyclic groups into product of disjoint cycles.
A cyclic group (a b c d ... z) := a->b, b->c, c->d, d->e ... y->z, z->a
In the book, it shows that (0 3 6) o (2 7) o (4 8) o (0 4 7 2 6) o (1 8) = (0 8 1 4 2) o (3 6)

How do you get there?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, it's a group of 1-1 functions from the set of elements being permuted (or possibly a superset) onto itself.

2. You don't, you may express individual members of a cyclic group of permutations as the product of disjoint cycles. In your example each cycle goes from left to right but the products are evaluated from right to left. The direction of evaluation could be different in a different book, but the cycles will usually go from left to right I believe.

So for example:

1--(18)--> 8 --(0 4 7 2 6)--> 8--(4 8)--> 4 --(2 7)--> 4 --(0 3 6)--> 4

Which is why 4 follows 1 in the cycle (0 8 1 4 2) on the rhs. Other elements similarly.

If g=(abc...z) then g2 would be (abc...z)(abc...z) evaluated the same way, i.e. (ace...y)(bdf...z) and so on.

OK, I kind of get it. So you always start with 0, and the last element ends with 2 because two maps to 0 through the series of functions, completing the cycle. What if there isn't a zero? Also, when you're done with a cycle, how do you start the next one, do you choose the next smallest element that's left? which is why it's (3 6) and not (6 3)?

It doesn't matter what you start with. All that happens is your cycles can appear shifted round if you start with something different.

After finding 1->4 I woulve tracked 4 etc. Then my cycle would appear as (14208) instead of (08142) on thr rhs. But it's the same cycle either way.

Similarly you can just pick anything you haven't already done for the next cycle. It helps to take them in some sort of order so you don't forget a cycle altogether, but it's up to you.

That is to say (63) will do just as well as (36). It's exactly the same mapping.

1. What is a group of permutations?

A group of permutations is a mathematical concept that involves rearranging a set of objects in a specific order. This group is made up of a set of elements and an operation that combines two elements to produce a third element.

2. What is the order of a group of permutations?

The order of a group of permutations is the total number of elements in the group. It is denoted by the symbol |G|.

3. How is a group of permutations represented?

A group of permutations is often represented using cycle notation, where each element is written as a product of disjoint cycles. For example, (123)(45) represents the permutation that maps 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 1, 4 to 5, and 5 to 4.

4. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a special type of group of permutations where every element can be generated by a single element called a generator. The elements in a cyclic group can be written in the form g^n, where g is the generator and n is an integer.

5. What is the significance of cyclic groups in mathematics?

Cyclic groups have many important applications in mathematics, particularly in group theory and number theory. They are also used in cryptography and coding theory. Cyclic groups are also closely related to the concept of symmetry, making them useful in the study of geometric objects and patterns.