Finding f'(1) with Tangent Line at (1,7)

In summary, the line tangent to the graph of the function f at the point (1,7) is given by the slope of f'(x) at x = 1, which is 3. This is because the line through (1,7) and (-2,-2) is tangent to the graph of f at (1,7), and the slope of this line is 3, indicating that the slope of the tangent line at (1,7) is 3. Therefore, f'(1) = 3.
lude1

Homework Statement

If the line tangent to the graph of the function f at the point (1,7) passes through the point
(-2,-2), then f'(1) is?

Answer: 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the right answer, but I think it was by pure luck. I found the slope using this formula:

y-y1 = m(x-x1)​

Then I plugged everything in, getting:

7 + 2 = m(1 + 2)
9 = m3
m = 3​

I originally created a new equation with this slope and (-2,-2) and did the derivative, but that's just rhetorical since the slope is 3 anyway. I guess I'm having a problem finding the equation of the derivative? Since once I have that equation, I can just plug in one. Or was my approach correct and the answer was y' = 3 (therefore no matter what point I plug in, the answer is 3 anyway)

Physics news on Phys.org

lude1 said:

Homework Statement

If the line tangent to the graph of the function f at the point (1,7) passes through the point
(-2,-2), then f'(1) is?

Answer: 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the right answer, but I think it was by pure luck. I found the slope using this formula:

y-y1 = m(x-x1)​
No, this is pretty much what you should have done. You have a line through (1, 7) and (-2, -2), so the slope of the line is 3, and this is f'(1).
lude1 said:
Then I plugged everything in, getting:

7 + 2 = m(1 + 2)
9 = m3
m = 3​

I originally created a new equation with this slope and (-2,-2) and did the derivative, but that's just rhetorical since the slope is 3 anyway. I guess I'm having a problem finding the equation of the derivative?
You can't find the general equation of f'(x), since you don't know the equation of f(x). All you know about f is that its derivative at x = 1 is 3.
lude1 said:
Since once I have that equation, I can just plug in one. Or was my approach correct and the answer was y' = 3 (therefore no matter what point I plug in, the answer is 3 anyway)
y' = 3 is not correct. You can say that y'(1) = 3 or f'(1) = 3, but you can't say anything about the derivative of this function at an arbitrary point.

So "the line tangent to the graph of function f" means the derivative. "At the point (1,7) and passes through the point (-2,-2)" means the derivative passes through these two points.

Therefore, to find the derivative or the slope, you use the equation y-y1 = m(x-x1).

The reason why we know f'(1) = 3 is because "the line tangent to the graph of the function f at the point (1,7)" or the derivative to the graph of f at points (1,7) and (-2,-2) is 3, correct?

Sorry! I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this despite how easy it is :frown:

lude1 said:
So "the line tangent to the graph of function f" means the derivative.
Not exactly. The slope of the line tangent to the graph of f is the derivative. A better way to say this is that at the point (x, f(x)), the slope of the tangent line is given by f'(x).
lude1 said:
"At the point (1,7) and passes through the point (-2,-2)" means the derivative passes through these two points.
No, the derivative is a function. The tangent line at the point (1, 7) passes through (-2, -2).
lude1 said:
Therefore, to find the derivative or the slope, you use the equation y-y1 = m(x-x1).
Better yet is the formula y2-y1 = m(x2-x1), or m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1).
lude1 said:
The reason why we know f'(1) = 3 is because "the line tangent to the graph of the function f at the point (1,7)" or the derivative to the graph of f at points (1,7) and (-2,-2) is 3, correct?
Almost. Here's what you know.
1. The line through (1, 7) and (-2, -2) is tangent to the graph of f at (1, 7).
2. The slope of this line is 3.
3. From 1 and 2, the slope of the tangent line at (1, 7) is 3.
4. From 3, f'(1) = 3.
lude1 said:
Sorry! I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this despite how easy it is :frown:

Ooh, okay. I get it now! Thank you so much!

1. How do you find the derivative, f'(1), with only the tangent line at (1,7)?

The derivative, f'(1), can be found by using the slope of the tangent line at the point (1,7). This slope is equal to the value of the derivative at that point, so f'(1) = slope of tangent line at (1,7).

2. What is the significance of finding f'(1) with the tangent line at (1,7)?

Finding f'(1) with the tangent line at (1,7) allows us to determine the instantaneous rate of change of the function at the specific point (1,7). This value can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function at that point and can be used in various applications of calculus.

3. Can you find f'(1) with only the tangent line at (1,7) if the function is not known?

No, the function must be known in order to find f'(1) with the tangent line at (1,7). The derivative of a function is defined as the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the function, so without knowing the function, we cannot determine the derivative.

4. Is it possible to find f'(1) with the tangent line at (1,7) if the function is not continuous at (1,7)?

No, the function must be continuous at the point (1,7) in order to find f'(1) with the tangent line at that point. This is because the tangent line is only defined at a single point on the function, so the function must be continuous at that point for the tangent line to accurately represent the behavior of the function.

5. How can you use the tangent line at (1,7) to estimate the value of f(1.1)?

The tangent line at (1,7) can be used to estimate the value of f(1.1) by finding the equation of the tangent line and plugging in the x-value of 1.1. This will give an approximate value of f(1.1) based on the behavior of the function at the point (1,7).