Rust Residue on Aluminum Boat: Removing It

In summary, the gas spilled onto the boat's aluminum floor, and when the boat was pulled out this spring the residue was found. It does not come off with CLR and it is likely caused by one of the gasoline additives listed on Wikipedia.
fishology
I guess this is more of a Chemistry question than anything, but didn't get a response in that forum... I had gas spill onto the floor of my aluminum boat this winter, and it sat there for a few months... when I pulled the boat out this spring there was a rust looking residue on the aluminum floor. It doesn't come off with CLR. I'm wondering if anyone knows what this stuff might be, and how to get it off. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Bob S said:
Do NOT use any basic (Ph>7.0) solvent to clean aluminum. Aluminum corrodes easily.

Oops, sea water has pH of 8.

Borek said:
Oops, sea water has pH of 8.

Ah, that explains all the disappearing aluminum boats! :bugeye:

Seriously, though, here is what I would do. Peruse a good boating web-site that has tips on cleaning. Wish I could list one, you may have to check-out a few.

The refineries put a dye into gasoline to identify different octanes and for other reasons. The dye comes out and forms a stain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dyes

To remove it is a trial and error process. You can try Isopropyl alcohol, acetone, wipng it with more gasoline, lighter fluid, brake cleaner fluid. All have all worked to some extent. However, if it is a painted surface you may have problems removing it without removing paint and starting over, depending on type of paint.

Good Luck

1. How does rust form on an aluminum boat?

Rust forms on an aluminum boat when the surface is exposed to oxygen and moisture, causing a chemical reaction that results in the formation of iron oxide. This can happen when the boat is in contact with saltwater or if it is not properly cleaned and maintained.

2. Can rust residue be harmful to the aluminum boat?

Yes, rust residue can be harmful to the aluminum boat as it can weaken the metal and cause corrosion. It can also affect the appearance of the boat and make it less appealing.

3. What is the best method for removing rust residue from an aluminum boat?

The best method for removing rust residue from an aluminum boat is to use a specialized rust remover or a combination of vinegar and baking soda. It is important to follow the instructions carefully and test the product on a small area before applying it to the entire boat.

4. Can I prevent rust from forming on my aluminum boat?

Yes, there are several ways to prevent rust from forming on your aluminum boat. These include regularly cleaning and drying the boat after use, applying a protective coating or wax, and avoiding contact with saltwater. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any rust issues before they become severe.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when removing rust residue from my aluminum boat?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and eyewear when using rust removers or other harsh chemicals. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area and to follow the instructions carefully. If you are unsure about how to safely remove rust residue, it is best to consult a professional.