Are galaxies losing mass or gaining density or both?

In summary, The speaker initially believed that galaxies become more dense over time due to the effects of gravity and assumed that the spacetime deformation also increases. However, upon learning that galaxies lose mass through radiation, they question if there is a point where the maximum spacetime deformation is reached. Their question ultimately asks if galactic spacetime deformations are increasing or decreasing, but this does not apply as very little of the matter is transported by photons over a significant period of time.
D.S.Beyer
The other day I ran across the idea that galaxies lose mass due to their radiating.

Before I heard this I assumed that galaxies became more and more dense as their lives wore on. Such that the gasses became gas giants and stars, dust became asteroids, planets, and moons, and the fusion in stars created heavier and heavier elements. All of this an effect of gravity pulling things together. And so, in general, mass has a tendency to become more dense.

Thus I assumed that the spacetime deformation of a area containing mass becomes more and more deformed as time goes on. (on the galactic scale)

So when I heard that galaxies loose mass by radiation I was intrigued.

If this is true then could we assume that at some point in a galaxies life it reaches a maximum distortion of spacetime? Or is the loss of radiation mass not substantial enough to counter the density increases?

(Also before I simplify my question, I am aware that a the spacetime deformation is the same no matter the size of the star as long as the mass is consistent. So when I say 'increasing' I refer to the exposing of more deformation around the body of mass.)

Simply put my question is this : Are galactic spacetime deformations increasing or decreasing?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
In the sense you posed the question, neither case applies. Spacetime does react to local matter density, but, very little of that is ferried off by photons over any reasonable period of time.

1. How do scientists measure the mass of galaxies?

Scientists use a technique called gravitational lensing to measure the mass of galaxies. This involves observing the bending of light as it passes through the gravitational field of the galaxy.

2. Are galaxies losing mass over time?

There is evidence that some galaxies are losing mass through processes such as galactic winds and interactions with other galaxies. However, the overall mass of galaxies is also constantly increasing as they accrete new material from their surroundings.

3. How does the density of a galaxy affect its mass?

The density of a galaxy is directly related to its mass. The more mass a galaxy has, the higher its density will be. However, the density of a galaxy can also be affected by factors such as the distribution of dark matter within it.

4. Are there any galaxies that are gaining density?

Yes, there are galaxies that are gaining density over time. This can occur through processes such as mergers with other galaxies, which can compress the material within the galaxy and increase its density.

5. How does the mass and density of galaxies affect their evolution?

The mass and density of galaxies play a crucial role in their evolution. The more massive a galaxy is, the more likely it is to have active star formation and strong gravitational interactions with other galaxies. The density of a galaxy also affects its ability to form new stars and the shape of its overall structure.