Visibility of IR light from remote controls

In summary: As long as its bright enough and your eyes are adjusted to see in the IR, you'll see the faint red light coming from the LED.
Trajork
So, I was playing around with remote controls last night and realized that, under the right conditions, I could see a very faint, blinking red glow from the LED that transmits signals to the TV when I held down a button. Looking this up, it appears that most such LED's shine at 940 nm, which is far outside the visible spectrum. What's going on here? Are those LED's not very monochromatic, or is it actually possible to see (however poorly) well into the near IR?

Science news on Phys.org
Trajork said:
So, I was playing around with remote controls last night and realized that, under the right conditions, I could see a very faint, blinking red glow from the LED that transmits signals to the TV when I held down a button. Looking this up, it appears that most such LED's shine at 940 nm, which is far outside the visible spectrum. What's going on here? Are those LED's not very monochromatic, or is it actually possible to see (however poorly) well into the near IR?

The cones in your eyes have a relatively large response bell curve. The L type cone in your eye peaks at orange but detects a bunch of redder wavelengths. Humans can see up to 700 nm which we will see as dark red (this would be the edge of the L type cone response curve). Looking at some data sheets for IR LED's, there is also a bell curve of emitted wavelengths. Even though this curve peaks at non-visible near IR, the edge of the curve overlaps with the edge of the human L type cone response curve. So if you’re in a dark room with your eyes adjusted and the IR led is bright, the net result is you see a dim red light in the LED. I have seen this before so I know what you're talking about.

Likes Spinnor
Trajork said:
So, I was playing around with remote controls last night ... Are those LED's not very monochromatic, or is it actually possible to see (however poorly) well into the near IR?

Look at it through your camcorder; you'll see it VERY clearly...its very IR sensitive.

1. How does IR light work in remote controls?

Infrared (IR) light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is invisible to the human eye. Remote controls use IR light to transmit signals between the remote and the device it is controlling. The remote has an IR LED that emits pulses of IR light, and the device has a sensor that receives and interprets these pulses as commands.

2. Why can't I see the IR light from my remote control?

As mentioned, IR light is not visible to the human eye. This is because it has a longer wavelength than visible light, making it outside of the range of light that our eyes can detect. However, some cameras, such as those on smartphones, can pick up IR light and show it as a purplish glow.

3. Can other devices interfere with the visibility of IR light from remote controls?

Yes, other devices that emit IR light, such as sunlight, fluorescent lights, and even other remote controls, can interfere with the visibility of IR light from remote controls. This is why remote controls use specific codes and frequencies to avoid interference from other devices.

4. How far can IR light from a remote control reach?

The range of IR light from a remote control can vary depending on the strength of the IR LED, but it typically has a range of around 30 feet. However, this range can be affected by factors such as obstacles and interference, which can reduce the distance the IR light can travel.

5. Can I increase the visibility of IR light from my remote control?

No, there is no way to increase the visibility of IR light from a remote control. As mentioned, IR light is not visible to the human eye, so even if you try to make it brighter, you still won't be able to see it. However, if you are having trouble with your remote control, you can try replacing the batteries or using it in a dark room to reduce interference from other light sources.