Can't Read Threads? PM Me for Help

• Bug
  • Thread starter Office_Shredder
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user experiencing an error message when trying to open a thread or PMs. They are able to read some threads, but not others, and have received multiple warnings related to parsing RSS files. The user asks for help and mentions that they are able to read this particular thread, but are unsure if they will be able to continue doing so.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For the past half hour or so whenever I try to open a thread I get an error message saying that it can't download a cookie properly and the below as a header of sorts. When I try to open up PMs I can see the PM but still get the weird looking header (it's shorter though).

If anyone knows what's wrong, please PM me as I probably can't read this thread

EDIT: I can read this thread for some reason, but I'm not convinced of my continued ability to do so

EDIT2: I can actually read all the threads in this section

Code:
Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (Invalid document end at line 2, column 1) in [path]/magpierss/rss_fetch.inc  on line 238

Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 17

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 18

Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 24

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 25

Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (Invalid document end at line 2, column 1) in [path]/magpierss/rss_fetch.inc on line 238

Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 17

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 18

Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 24

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 25

Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (Invalid document end at line 2, column 1) in [path]/magpierss/rss_fetch.inc on line 238

Physics news on Phys.org
There was a problem with RSS feeds. Seems to be fixed now.

Last edited:
Yeah everything's working now. I waited a little bit to post because I figured someone else would have the same problem and complain first, but when that didn't happen I panicked

Apparently some people had no problems. Odd.

Office_Shredder said:
Yeah everything's working now. I waited a little bit to post because I figured someone else would have the same problem and complain first, but when that didn't happen I panicked

I had the same problem, and couldn't even open this thread. But now it works fine.

I didn't think I'd be able to read their thread but if I saw a thread that said 'I can't read threads!' in the title I'd have a good idea what it was talking about :)

There was few minutes that I had the problem about every second page refresh.

To set cookie server has to exchange information with the browser in form of HTTP headers (this is a protocol restriction) - that means, before any content is sent. Error messages are treated just as a page content - so when they were displayed, server is no longer able to set a cookie. As long as everything works OK it is usually not a problem.

Edit: RSS feeds are source of problems now and then, that's not the first time.

Last edited:
It's back. I see what appears to be threads about the issue today, but I am unable to read them. It seems that the more responses a thread has, the more likely it is I'll be able to open it.

my_wan said:
It's back. I see what appears to be threads about the issue today, but I am unable to read them. It seems that the more responses a thread has, the more likely it is I'll be able to open it.

I'm having trouble opening threads, too. It seems to help a bit if I log out then log back in but maybe that's just coincidence.

Try logging out and back in. That seems to correct some of the problem.

If it persists, I'll reboot PF at 12 noon EDT (1600 GMT).

The matter has been resolved. Thanks to Astronuc for leadership and attention to this problem!

Speaking of problems: for the last few days I am getting random database problem screens, I think it have happened at least three times up to now. Last time in about last 10 minutes.

Borek said:
Speaking of problems: for the last few days I am getting random database problem screens, I think it have happened at least three times up to now. Last time in about last 10 minutes.
Try logging out and back in, and see if that helps clear up the problem. If it happens again, PM a copy of the database problem screen.

Borek said:

I get this problem occasionally also. Definitely very random. Refreshing the page seems to fix it for me.

Astronuc said:
Try logging out and back in, and see if that helps clear up the problem. If it happens again, PM a copy of the database problem screen.

No need to log out/in, as Borg wrote - just refreshing is usually enough.

Here you go. Refreshing helped. Unfortunately apart from the message "Database error" there is no additional information.

Each time it happens there is a several seconds lag between me clicking the link and PF displaying error message. Could be what the error message really means is "database timeout".

Now that I think about it, it looks similar to what have happened few months ago. It ended with database HDD being replaced and - IIRC - some additional hurdles.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 411
I get that every once in a while too. I figured it was just me

Checked this time - database error message is shown after about 30 seconds, such a round value suggests preset timeout.

Borek said:
No need to log out/in, as Borg wrote - just refreshing is usually enough.
I know that refreshing will fix it temporarily, but I was thinking that logging out and in again may be fix what's causing the error in the first place.

I've had a couple of errors as well.

Is it just viewing threads/posts, or does it occur when posting too?

Astronuc said:
I know that refreshing will fix it temporarily, but I was thinking that logging out and in again may be fix what's causing the error in the first place.

I've had a couple of errors as well.

Personally, it has only happened to me when attempting to view threads. I don't remember it occurring when posting. It doesn't seem to happen when I select the main PF link at the top or the Get Posts -> Today's Posts link in the menu either.

Astronuc said:

Just viweing, so far never happened to me while posting. But then I read much more than post.

Astronuc said:

Just viewing, so far never happened to me while posting. But then I read much more than post.

LOL - would you believe it? Database error exactly when submitting THIS answer.

Edit: no, obviously it was not when posting, but when refreshing view after the post was already inserted into the database.

What does "Can't Read Threads? PM Me for Help" mean?

"Can't Read Threads? PM Me for Help" is a phrase commonly used on online forums or discussion boards to indicate that the user is unable to view a particular thread or message. The user is then requesting that others send them a private message (PM) to provide assistance.

Why would someone use "Can't Read Threads? PM Me for Help"?

There are a few reasons why someone might use this phrase. It could be that the thread or message is not loading properly for them, there is an error message appearing, or they simply do not have access to view the thread. In any case, they are requesting help from others through private messaging.

What types of threads or messages might someone not be able to read?

There could be a variety of reasons why someone might not be able to read a thread or message. It could be due to technical difficulties, such as a slow internet connection or a glitch in the platform. It could also be that the thread or message is restricted to certain users or groups, and the person does not have the necessary permissions to view it.

How can I help someone who is unable to read threads?

If you see someone using the phrase "Can't Read Threads? PM Me for Help", you can reach out to them through private messaging and offer assistance. You can also try to troubleshoot the issue with them, such as suggesting they try refreshing the page or clearing their cache. If you are able to view the thread or message, you can also try to share the information with them through a private message.

Is there a better way to ask for help with reading threads?

While "Can't Read Threads? PM Me for Help" is a commonly used phrase, it may not be the most effective way to ask for help. It is always helpful to provide more information about the issue, such as the specific thread or message that is not loading, any error messages that appear, and what steps you have already taken to try and resolve the issue. This will make it easier for others to understand the problem and offer assistance.