Emergency Contact Info: Buddy System for Emergencies

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
In summary, Borg suggests that PF members are actually real, and that we should have a buddy system where people would have another member who could contact them in the real world. If someone should notice them missing, please contact me and I will give them a holler.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=411587" thread, it was mentioned that we should have a buddy system where people would have another member who could contact them in the real world. This is a good idea but how would you know who that buddy was?

I would like to propose a link on a user's profile page that will allow you to specify people who know your contact info. Those people wouldn't be at liberty to pass on contact info but would only be used for emergency purposes (like someone with thousands of posts suddenly disappearing). BTW, glad that you're OK Danger! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, Borg suggests that PF members are actually real ?

humanino said:
So, Borg suggests that PF members are actually real ?
What, everyone is a figment of my imagination? :tongue:

It's still relevant, since we're at least real in your imagination.

I like that idea, Borg, because while we may have a buddy system in place, who would know who to ask? Maybe we could get an additional box added in "additional information" called "PF Buddy" or something like, and name the person to contact if we go missing or astray or awry or whatever it is we go. Then other people would know who to ask and it would be right in our profiles.

GeorginaS said:
I like that idea, Borg, because while we may have a buddy system in place, who would know who to ask? Maybe we could get an additional box added in "additional information" called "PF Buddy" or something like, and name the person to contact if we go missing or astray or awry or whatever it is we go. Then other people would know who to ask and it would be right in our profiles.

LOL. After all of the work that you did, I was sure that you would approve of this one. I would also make it a buddy list in case there is more than one. :smile:

For now, you could make a blog entry where you could list the person to contact. You could also make the entry private, I believe when you do that only a mentor or admin could see it.

I wouldn't put any private contact information there though, I never trust how secure that is.

I agree, Evo, I wouldn't put any private contact information on my profile page, here, and I wouldn't recommend anyone do it. What I meant was (and I don't know that everyone has someone they can do this with, here) that I'd put in a "contact buddy" box Moonbear's name. That's it. Just Moonbear. If I went missing for any length of time, or anyone needed/wanted to know where I'd got to, you could just ask her. She has contacts for people who are in my daily life and my home phone and whatnot. And I know how to contact her. So. Like that, is what I meant. Not make private info public, but establish/have one person, preferably here, who people could go to.

And, thanks Borg, yes, a list would work if you had more than one person. :smile:

GeorginaS said:
I agree, Evo, I wouldn't put any private contact information on my profile page, here, and I wouldn't recommend anyone do it. What I meant was (and I don't know that everyone has someone they can do this with, here) that I'd put in a "contact buddy" box Moonbear's name. That's it. Just Moonbear. If I went missing for any length of time, or anyone needed/wanted to know where I'd got to, you could just ask her. She has contacts for people who are in my daily life and my home phone and whatnot. And I know how to contact her. So. Like that, is what I meant. Not make private info public, but establish/have one person, preferably here, who people could go to.

And, thanks Borg, yes, a list would work if you had more than one person. :smile:
That's what I meant, if you have a PF buddy, you could name them in your blog and even make it private, so no one has to know who that person is. It's just a temporary solution until something like what you propose could be done by Greg. I think your idea is great.

How about just set up a dead man's switch: http://www.mylastemail.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the mobile phone numbers for B. Elliott and Char. Limit.

If someone should notice them missing, please contact me and I will give them a holler.

Please note that B. Elliot is now prone to random periods of top secret disappearances, so please wait 6 months before contacting me regarding his whereabouts.

I also know where wolram, lisab, Borek, Andre, and Kurdt live. So contact me if they show up missing also, and I will send them a post card. :tongue2:

There are a couple of members that know how to contact me should I disappear. That's probably a good thing because my wife isn't too computer-savvy.

How about this? The profile already has a link that you can click to send an e-mail to a member (if he's enabled it). The link doesn't show the actual e-mail address. The forum software looks it up from the registration information and sends the e-mail for you.

We could have a similar link for an emergency contact, which a member could choose to enable by providing a suitable e-mail address.

Evo said:
For now, you could make a blog entry where you could list the person to contact. You could also make the entry private, I believe when you do that only a mentor or admin could see it.

I wouldn't put any private contact information there though, I never trust how secure that is.
This is an excellent idea, and requires no modifications to the forum. It would require that a Mentor get involved in case of a disappearance, since Mentors can view private blogs, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I want to be Cyrus' buddy.

I want AskJeevesBot Spider to be my buddy. . .

Wait, Cheeto, how do you have my number? I'm not mad, but I don't remember ever giving it out. Well, at least I don't have to ask the question "what if no one knows me?"

If OmCheeto knows my phone number, that's great. I'm already covered.

Char. Limit said:
Wait, Cheeto, how do you have my number? I'm not mad, but I don't remember ever giving it out. Well, at least I don't have to ask the question "what if no one knows me?"

If OmCheeto knows my phone number, that's great. I'm already covered.

Moonbear showed me how to find it:

Facebook: Account: Edit Friends: Phonebook: Your phone number

I would post my number, but an unhealthy percentage of my facebook "friends" are actually sociopathic acquaintances. I only accept them as friends so they won't come and kill me.

OmCheeto said:
...but an unhealthy percentage of my facebook "friends" are actually sociopathic acquaintances. I only accept them as friends so they won't come and kill me.

Oh!... Facebook friends!... I see... Are you sure that's it?! :armed devil:

Pengwuino said:
I want to be Cyrus' buddy.

Oh, bloody hell. Thread locked.

turbo-1 said:
my wife isn't too computer-savvy.

Oh, great... now you tell me. :rolleyes:
I had your wife listed as my primary contact, and now I have to change it. :grumpy:

What is the purpose of having emergency contact info and a buddy system?

The purpose of having emergency contact information and a buddy system is to ensure that in the event of an emergency, individuals are able to quickly and easily reach out to someone who can help them. This system can potentially save lives and prevent further harm or danger.

What information should be included in emergency contact info?

The most important information to include in emergency contact info is the person's name, relationship to you, phone number, and any relevant medical information. It is also helpful to include a backup contact in case the first person is unavailable.

Who should I choose as my emergency contact and buddy?

Your emergency contact and buddy should be someone you trust and feel comfortable reaching out to in times of need. This could be a family member, friend, or even a coworker. It is important to choose someone who is reliable and can be easily reached.

How often should I update my emergency contact info?

It is recommended to update your emergency contact info at least once a year, or whenever there are significant changes in your contact information or medical history. It is important to keep this information current to ensure that it is useful in case of an emergency.

What are some other ways to stay prepared for emergencies?

In addition to having emergency contact info and a buddy system in place, other ways to stay prepared for emergencies include creating an emergency plan for yourself and your household, keeping important documents and supplies in a safe and easily accessible place, and staying informed about potential risks and emergencies in your area.