PF Rules Garbled? Troubleshooting Help

• Bug
  • Thread starter TMFKAN64
  • Start date
In summary, there seems to be an issue with the "Rules" link at the top of the page, which leads to a thread titled "Theoretical Physics PhD worthless nowadays?" and several stickies with a "Read the rules here" link also redirecting to that thread. The admins are aware of the issue and will change the URL in the Rules link at the Menu bar when they have time. Meanwhile, the rules link under the "i" from 'Physics' leads to an error page.
TMFKAN64
When I click on the "Rules" at the top of the page, I see two posts of rules followed by 6-7 pages of a thread entitled "Theoretical Physics PhD worthless nowadays?". Something looks slightly garbled here...

Physics news on Phys.org
That's what happens to me, too. Very strange!

I just went to several stickies that have a "Read the rules here" link, and those links go to that theoretical physics forum, too.

Thanks for the heads up. I think there's a problem with the Mentor's thread merging function.

Edit: in the meantime, the PF Rules thread is here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

The admins will change the URL in the Rules link at the Menu bar when they get to it.

Zz.

Last edited:
The threads seem to be separated now, but the admins haven't had a chance to change the main link yet.

You have to get the decoder ring in your Cracker Jacks box!

1. What does "PF Rules Garbled" mean?

"PF Rules Garbled" refers to a problem with the PF (Packet Filter) firewall system in Unix-based operating systems. It indicates that the rules for filtering network traffic have become corrupted or are not functioning properly.

2. What can cause PF Rules to become garbled?

PF Rules can become garbled due to human error, such as incorrectly editing the rules file, or due to a software bug or corruption in the operating system.

3. How can I troubleshoot PF Rules Garbled?

To troubleshoot PF Rules Garbled, you can start by checking the rules file for any errors or typos. You can also use the "pfctl" command to check the status of the firewall and any errors that may have occurred. If the issue persists, you may need to restart the firewall or the entire operating system.

4. How can I prevent PF Rules from becoming garbled?

To prevent PF Rules from becoming garbled, it is important to carefully review any changes made to the rules file and to use proper syntax. Regularly backing up the rules file and monitoring for any errors or issues can also help to prevent this problem.

5. Are there any resources available for troubleshooting PF Rules Garbled?

Yes, there are various online resources and forums where you can find troubleshooting tips and solutions for PF Rules Garbled. You can also refer to the official documentation for your operating system for more information on troubleshooting this issue.