Unwanted Notifications: How to Resolve

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a request for friendship from someone and the difficulty in getting rid of the notification on the screen. The individual explaining their process of declining the request and asking for assistance in removing the notification. Another person chimed in with a similar experience and advised not to hesitate in declining requests. The issue was eventually resolved with the help of an administrator.
Danger
Gold Member
Hi, all.
This is directed toward the Mentors, but I'm posting it here rather than dealing with it behind the scenes in case it impacts upon someone else's experience.
I recently received a request for friendship from someone. I declined (and those of you who are my friends know why), with an explanation and an invitation to communicate through PM's until I become comfortable enough with him to accept the friendship. This has never been a point of difficulty in the past.
Now, though, I can't seem to rid myself of the "Your Notifications: 1" blurb on the top of my screen.
So... two questions. Did he or did he not receive my response, and if not can it be relayed to him? Secondly, how the hell do I get rid of that flag at the top of my screen? It is irritating to a degree that publicly allowable language can't begin to express.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you declined, you have to check the box next to it and then hit decline or something similar to that. You didn't actually decline it yet

I had the exact same problem

Also - Don't ever hesitate to ignore or say no to these requests.

Office_Shredder said:
When you declined, you have to check the box next to it and then hit decline or something similar to that. You didn't actually decline it yet

I had the exact same problem

Thanks, Shredder. I'll go and try that right now. (By the bye, I hope that you don't mind me addressing you by your last name. For some reason "Office" just seems too stuffy as a form of greeting.)

edit: Evo! Hi, gorgeous. You sneaked your sleek self in whilst I was otherwise occupied. Perhaps it's because I'm not constantly bombarded with requests, as you probably are, but I never ignore one. Due to the rarity, my acceptance rate is actually somewhat over 80%. That's pretty much because most people who make the request are ones who I already consider friends. Those are instantly accepted, such as you, Astro, Moonie, Hypatia, Huck, Brewski, etc.. The denials are based upon the fact that friendship gives access to personal stuff that I prefer to keep semi-private, but I always explain that to the applicant in my denial notice. (As a side note, how is it that you declined my request involving the turkey-noodle soup and licorice condoms, when I haven't even made it yet? Damned psychics... :frown:)

edit: No, dammit, the stinking thing is still there after my modified response. Will some kind-hearted administrator please delete it for me before I have to put a bullet through my monitor? (Did I mention that it is unspeakably irritating?)

Last edited:
Aha! It's fixed. The thing that I neglected was clicking the checkbox included with the individual's avatar.

1. What are unwanted notifications?

Unwanted notifications are notifications that appear on a device without the user's consent or desire. They can be in the form of pop-ups, banners, or sounds and can be sent from various sources such as websites, apps, or even the device's operating system.

2. Why do I receive unwanted notifications?

There are various reasons why someone may receive unwanted notifications. It could be due to visiting a malicious website, giving permission to an app to send notifications, or being a victim of adware or malware.

3. How can I stop unwanted notifications?

To stop unwanted notifications, you can start by reviewing the notification settings on your device and disabling notifications from apps or websites that you do not want to receive notifications from. You can also use an ad blocker or anti-malware software to block unwanted notifications from appearing.

4. What should I do if I keep receiving unwanted notifications?

If you are consistently receiving unwanted notifications, it may be a sign of adware or malware on your device. In this case, you should run a full scan of your device using anti-malware software and remove any threats that are detected. You may also need to reset your browser settings or uninstall any suspicious apps.

5. Can I prevent unwanted notifications in the future?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent unwanted notifications, there are steps you can take to minimize the chances of receiving them. These include being cautious when granting permission for apps to send notifications, using ad blockers, and regularly scanning your device for malware.