Why was my post deleted without explanation?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter madness
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a user posting about a US military attack video on Wikileaks, which was quickly deleted and resulted in an infraction for being "off topic/trolling." The user argued that the situation was not symmetrical and asked for an explanation, but did not receive a response. The decision to delete the post was seen as a knee-jerk reaction and the justification of "off topic/trolling" was deemed flimsy. It was suggested to privately message the moderator for a more detailed explanation. The post in question was considered off topic and unrelated to the thread's topic.
madness
I recently posted in Russ's thread about the US military attack video released on Wikileaks. Within minutes of posting it was deleted and I received an infraction from Evo for "off topic/trolling" with no further explanation. Russ claimed that people hold a double standard for the US military and the insurgents and I simply stated that the situation is not symmetrical since the US invaded Iraq and not vice versa. I replied to Evo asking her to explain in what way the post was off topic or irrelevant and did not receive a reply.

As far as I can tell, the decision was a knee-jerk reaction to something which Evo found offensive (especially since it was deleted so quickly). The justification of "off topic/trolling" is so flimsy I really want a better answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want a more detailed explanation, you should PM Evo about it. We don't discuss specifics of moderation decisions in the public forums.

Your post was about the 9/11 attack and had nothing to do with the topic.

Why was my post deleted?

There could be several reasons why your post was deleted. The most common reasons include violating community guidelines or terms of service, containing inappropriate content, or being marked as spam.

Can I get my post reinstated?

It depends on the reason for deletion. If your post was removed for violating community guidelines or terms of service, it is unlikely that it can be reinstated. However, if it was mistakenly marked as spam, you can reach out to the platform or community moderators for assistance.

How can I avoid having my posts deleted in the future?

To avoid having your posts deleted, make sure to follow the community guidelines and terms of service. This includes refraining from posting inappropriate content, engaging in harassment or bullying, and spamming. Additionally, make sure to properly cite and credit any sources used in your post.

Can I appeal the deletion of my post?

If you believe your post was unfairly deleted, you can reach out to the platform or community moderators for an appeal. Be prepared to provide evidence and a clear explanation of why you believe your post should not have been deleted.

Will my deleted post still be visible to others?

In most cases, no. Once a post is deleted, it is typically removed from the platform or community and is no longer visible to others. However, if your post was shared or reposted by others before it was deleted, it may still be visible on their pages or accounts.