Wave Form Plotting Homework - Solve the Puzzling Questions

• Thread starter Vergo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Wave
In summary, the student was given an assignment to plot a specific equation in Excel for the first 100 terms. They were unsure of how many points to use for the x-values and what the variable "h" stood for. The expert suggests using enough points to accurately depict the curve and guesses that "h" could possibly represent height.
Vergo

Homework Statement

I was given an assignment of plotting the following equation in Excel for the first 100 terms

Homework Equations

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6646/capturesx.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I am puzzled by two things

1) I understand I have to use a long list of x points in one column and the sum function for the 100 terms, but how many points are enough?

2)I am not sure what "h" stands for. It's not defined anywhere on the assignment and I doubt it's Plank's constant since the course is on basic electromagnetic waves. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vergo said:

Homework Statement

I was given an assignment of plotting the following equation in Excel for the first 100 terms

Homework Equations

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6646/capturesx.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I am puzzled by two things

1) I understand I have to use a long list of x points in one column and the sum function for the 100 terms, but how many points are enough?

2)I am not sure what "h" stands for. It's not defined anywhere on the assignment and I doubt it's Plank's constant since the course is on basic electromagnetic waves. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks
1) Enough to get a sense of the true shape of the curve. For this problem, you can actually calculate the size of the smallest "feature" of the curve you're plotting. Your x-values should probably be spaced apart by no more than that size.
2) No idea, they really should tell you that in the problem. Could it be a height maybe? (That's the only other thing I can think of that h is frequently used to mean)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is wave form plotting homework?

Wave form plotting homework is a type of assignment given to students in science or engineering courses. It involves analyzing and graphing different wave forms, such as sound waves or electromagnetic waves, to understand their properties and behavior.

2. What are some common types of wave forms that may be included in this homework?

Some common types of wave forms that may be included in this homework are sine waves, square waves, triangle waves, and sawtooth waves. These are all examples of periodic waves, meaning they repeat themselves over time.

3. How do I solve wave form plotting homework?

To solve wave form plotting homework, you will need to have a good understanding of the properties of waves and how to graph them. You may also need to use mathematical concepts, such as trigonometry, to accurately plot the waves. It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions given in the assignment.

4. Can I use a computer program to solve wave form plotting homework?

Yes, you can use a computer program to help you solve wave form plotting homework. There are many software programs available that can generate and graph different types of wave forms. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the concepts involved and not solely rely on the computer program.

5. What are some tips for successfully completing wave form plotting homework?

Some tips for successfully completing wave form plotting homework are to carefully read and understand the instructions, use a ruler or graphing software to create accurate graphs, and double check your work for any mistakes. It may also be helpful to review the properties of different wave forms and practice graphing them beforehand.