Rubber Sheet, Heavy Sphere & Gravity: Explained

In summary, a rubber sheet with a heavy sphere placed on it is often used as an analogy for how general relativity tries to picture gravity. However, this analogy is flawed as it assumes the existence of a force causing the depression in the rubber sheet, which goes against the very concept of trying to picture gravity in the first place. Additionally, while relativity views gravity as a deformation of spacetime, quantum theory sees it as a force through the interaction of gravitons. The resolution of this contradiction is one of the biggest goals in physics currently. Various theories have been proposed throughout history to explain gravitation, from Aristotle's belief in a natural place for objects to Newton's idea of a force, to Einstein's concept of mass causing the
anand
I read recently about an analogy to how general relativity tries to picture gravity.
Its the one about a rubber sheet and a heavy sphere placed on it deforming it to cause a depression.Another ball in the region will tend to move towards this depression .But doesn't this assume the existence of a force which does this(gravity),which is what we are trying to picture in the first place?So isn't this analogy wrong?
Also according to relativity, gravity is a deformation of spacetime and is not really a force like others.But quantum theory pictures it the other way as a force due to interaction through graviton.How do you explain this contradiction

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The resolution of that contradiction is the biggest goal in physics, at this point ni history.

The important thing is that the presence of a mass causes a deformation of the fabric. In the analogy, gravity is the erason why mass distorts the medium. In the real universe, nobody knows why or by what mechanism mass causes space to warp. All we now is that the model matches observation.

yep ,this is a big problem in physics today, the two theories contradict each other. I believe that Einstein was right in his General theory of relativity, since the graviton is such a farfeched idea (well, it sounds farfetched to me)

Consider the history of gravitation:

First Aristotle said objects fall because they have a natural or final place towards which all objects tend to move.
But nobody knew what caused them to move.

Then Newton said there was a force, gravitation, which caused objects to move according to his laws of motion.
But nobody knew what caused this force, or how it could act a great distance across a vacuum.

Then Einstein said that there was no force, but mass locally causes space-time to warp. Objects travel along straight lines, geodesics, along the curved surface of space-time. Mass tells space-time how to curve, curved space-time tells mass how to move.
But nobody knew how mass curved space-time.

Then …….. (fill in the blanks yourself!)

Garth

Last edited:
Garth said:
Consider the history of gravitation:

First Aristotle said objects fall because they have a natural or final place towards which all objects tend to move.
But nobody knew what caused them to move.

Then Newtonian said there was a force, gravitation, which caused objects to move according to his laws of motion.
But nobody knew what caused this force, or how it could act a great distance across a vacuum.

Then Einstein said that there was no force, but mass locally causes space-time to warp. Objects travel along straight lines, geodesics, along the curved surface of space-time. Mass tells space-time how to curve, curved space-time tells mass how to move.
But nobody knew how mass curved space-time.

Then …….. (fill in the blanks yourself!)

Garth

Cheez! Thanks Garth. You leave me a way out and a little room to wiggle? :smile:

Last edited:
anand said:
Its the one about a rubber sheet and a heavy sphere placed on it deforming it to cause a depression.Another ball in the region will tend to move towards this depression .But doesn't this assume the existence of a force which does this(gravity),which is what we are trying to picture in the first place?So isn't this analogy wrong?

Yes, the analogy is rather dubious. It's trying to claim that it is the curvature which makes the other ball move towards the depression, when we know that it's because its falling down. If you turned it upside down then the curvature is the same but your intuition is different.
The problem is that in GR masses curve space-time rather than just space, so even removing a dimension for visualization you still have three dimensions, and then need more dimensions in order to visualise the curvature.

I have a new analogy that you should consider and I am calling it the New Toy Model for developing this intuition.

It also brings you up to speed with the brane scenarios. Some people are better equiped, to envision Three sphere considerations :smile:

I would like to personally thank Chronos for this linksite in bubble views. I hade been working onthis for a while, and that help was icing on the cake.

So thanks to Chronos.

Last edited:
I came up with a way to explain it to some friends of mine with no science background at all. As with all of these analogies, it is highly imperfect, but they did seem to get "something" from it. It's completely visual, so it might be hard to explain. I would like input from anyone who can think of refinements (or just tell me it is too far wrong to bother with). It's supposed to be a tool for explaining to non-scientists the "general idea".

First, I made a "track", like a train track, that curved all over the place in some random manner. I then took a ball and a little toy figurine and put it on the ball. The ball was the Earth and figurine was my friend.

I said that he and Earth are always moving together on this track, though he never feels it, the same way we don't "feel" the Earth turning. I said not to worry about where this track was, or what it was, just that we were always moving forward, and the shape of the track (ie bends) determined which "direction" we were moving at anyone time.

I said as long he stayed on the Earth, this was fine. However, in "reality" the table where the track lay was filled with a horrible maze of overlapping side tracks. I then made a half-circle branch at one point that left the main track and then rejoined it a little later.

I said if he were to jump up, he would switch tracks, onto this little half circle branch. He and the Earth would still be moving forward the whole time, however he was on a slightly different track now. So I moved the ball and the figurine "forward" on the tracks, and low and behold he ended up right back on the Earth farther down the track.

I said it just so happened that whenver he jumped there would always happen to be one of these side tracks there, and this was "gravity", it wasn't pulling him down, it was just a change in the shape of the track.

Judging by how freaked out he got, he did seem to get something from this (actually, "they", I explained it this way to a group of non-scientists).

It struck me a very simple way to get the very basics of the idea across, without getting into complications.

One guy asked me how airplanes stay "up" then, to which the best I could come up with was that they "continuously switch tracks" to not end up meeting the Earth again.

Anyway, what do you folks think of this as a simple analogy?

anand said:
I read recently about an analogy to how general relativity tries to picture gravity.
Also according to relativity, gravity is a deformation of spacetime and is not really a force like others.But quantum theory pictures it the other way as a force due to interaction through graviton.How do you explain this contradiction
The point about the "rubber sheet analogy" is that in the analogy it is not gravity that makes the second ball move down. You do have the wrong (but common) analogy. MTW give a better one at the beginning of their book 'Gravitation' of ants crawling over an apple. Their paths converge as they go over the area near the stalk. They are actually walking along straight lines over a curved surface. As they look down at their feet they are locally putting one foot in front of the other and moving in a straight line, however, because of the curvature of the surface they are walking upon, globally their paths are curved and converge. An observer not knowing the surface was dimpled might think a force was drawing them together and call it 'gravity'.
- Garth

anand said:
So isn't this analogy wrong?

I wouldn't call it "wrong". "Incomplete" perhaps. That analogy is a helpful tool for people new to the idea to visualize what's going on. But yes, beyond that, the analogy is an inaccurate model.

Also according to relativity, gravity is a deformation of spacetime and is not really a force like others. But quantum theory pictures it the other way as a force due to interaction through graviton.How do you explain this contradiction

As noted, relativity and quantum mechanics have yet to mesh. However, each is a highly successful explanation of how the universe works. If you're dealing with the macro-universe then use Relativity. If you're exploring the subatomic universe, then use QM. The ultimate answer to "what is gravity" remains a mystery.

1. What is a rubber sheet and how does it relate to gravity?

A rubber sheet is a visual representation of how gravity affects objects in space. The sheet is stretched out and represents the fabric of space. When an object, such as a heavy sphere, is placed on the sheet, it will create a dip or depression in the fabric, showing how gravity pulls objects towards each other.

2. What is the significance of a heavy sphere on the rubber sheet?

A heavy sphere is used to represent a large mass, such as a planet or star, on the rubber sheet. This helps to visualize how gravity affects objects with larger masses, causing a greater depression in the fabric of space.

3. How does the rubber sheet model explain gravity?

The rubber sheet model helps to explain gravity by showing how objects with mass create a curvature in the fabric of space, and how other objects are pulled towards that curvature due to the force of gravity. The heavier the object, the greater the curvature and the stronger the force of gravity.

4. Does the rubber sheet model accurately represent how gravity works in space?

While the rubber sheet model is a helpful visual representation, it is not an exact representation of how gravity works in space. In reality, gravity is a result of the warping of space-time by massive objects, rather than a physical fabric that is stretched and depressed.

5. How does the rubber sheet model help us understand the concept of gravity?

The rubber sheet model is a simplified way of understanding how gravity affects objects in space. It helps us to understand that gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other, and the strength of that force is determined by the mass of the objects and the distance between them.