How do you find the formula for momentum in physics class?

• Thread starter mopar969
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the unit of momentum is (kgm/s) and a plausible formula for momentum is P=mv, where m represents mass in kg and v represents velocity in m/s. This formula can be derived from the fundamental formulas of F=ma or p=mv, but it cannot be proven. The SI defines 7 base units, and momentum is considered a fundamental formula in physics.
mopar969
How do you answer this question for my physics class (Please show all the steps)?

The unit of momentum is (kgm/s). Based on units, give a plausible formula for momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
mopar969 said:
How do you answer this question for my physics class (Please show all the steps)?

The unit of momentum is (kgm/s). Based on units, give a plausible formula for momentum.

1. momentum = kg * m/s (as given)
2. momentum = P
3. kg = __
4. m/s = __
5. Substitute in original formula (1.)

So My answer is then m*v. (Because m = mass in kg and v = velocity in m/s). Thats all there is?

the SI defines 7 base units that all other units are derived. kilogram is the base unit of mass. meter is the base unit of length and second is the base unit of time. so you can guess the correct formula is p=mv. there's no way to prove this formula, we can only check whether it describes our experimental results or not. if you accept momentum as a fundamental formula then you can derive F=ma with differentiation with respect to time (taking m constant) or if you accept F=ma as a fundamental formula you can derive p=mv with integration.

mopar969 said:
So My answer is then m*v. (Because m = mass in kg and v = velocity in m/s). Thats all there is?

That's all there is for the problem you were given. But phrase your answer as P=mv and show the steps.

1. How do I create a plausible formula?

Creating a plausible formula requires a thorough understanding of the scientific principles and concepts related to the topic. Start by identifying the variables and parameters involved and their relationships. Then, use mathematical operations and equations to express these relationships and create a logical formula.

2. What are the key elements of a plausible formula?

A plausible formula should have clear and defined variables, logical relationships between these variables, and be based on sound scientific principles. It should also be able to accurately predict or explain a phenomenon or behavior.

3. How can I ensure the accuracy of my formula?

To ensure the accuracy of your formula, you can use experimental data or observations to validate it. Additionally, seeking feedback from other scientists or experts in the field can help identify any flaws or errors in the formula.

4. Can a plausible formula be modified or improved?

Yes, a plausible formula can always be modified or improved upon as new evidence or data becomes available. It is important to constantly review and refine the formula to ensure its accuracy and relevance.

5. Are there any limitations to creating a plausible formula?

There may be limitations to creating a plausible formula, such as incomplete understanding of the topic, lack of data or evidence, or the complexity of the phenomenon being studied. It is important to acknowledge and address these limitations when developing a formula.