Mass of earths atmosphere

In summary, using the given information of 14.7 pounds of air per square inch, the density of air at sea level, and the diameter and mass of the Earth, it is possible to determine the mass and average density of the Earth's atmosphere. Using the formula A=4πR² and converting units, the mass of the atmosphere is calculated to be approximately 5.29x10^18 kilograms. However, it is important to note that the "pounds" in "pounds per square inch" is a unit of force, not mass, so this calculation may not be entirely accurate. Further research and clarification on this distinction may be necessary.
chem1guy

Homework Statement

above each square ince of the Earth's surface is 14.7 pounds of air. the density of air at sea level is 1.27g/l. the Earth is 7930 miles in diameter and has a mass of 5.98x10^24kg.

use this data to determine the mass in kg of the Earth's atmosphere

determine the average density in g/mm

Homework Equations

4pieR2

The Attempt at a Solution

14.7 lb air/in2 x 1kg/2.205lb x (39.37in/1m)2=1.03x10'4/m2 air above surface
then
A=4pieR2=1.97x10'8mi2 x (1km/.6214)=5.11x10'14m2

then multiply the answers for 1.534x1017kg

is that close for the "a" part?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chem1guy said:
is that close for the a part?
No.

Which are your symbols, and what is all this addition stuff?

Note: the "pounds" per square inch is a unit of force, not mass.

sorry typed it wrong. i reposted my work. i don't know where else to go

I'll be a bit more explicit in where you went wrong.

chem1guy said:

The Attempt at a Solution

14.7 lb air/in2 x 1kg/2.205lb x (39.37in/1m)2=1.03x10'4/m2 air above surface
The "pounds" in "pounds per square inch" is a unit of force, not mass. Your mistake results from assuming it is a unit of mass.

ok thanks. i'll try to look up the difference b/c we have not covered this distinction in class

14.7psi x 702771g/m2 x 1kg/1000g= 10331kg/m2 of air above surface
A=4pieR2=1.97x10'8mi2 x (1km/.6214)=5.11x10'14m2 surface area

5.29x10'18 mass of atmosphere!?

Looks good, but where did you come up with 702771g/m2?

I looked it up the conversion. I thought it might be in the problem but I can'tseem to find it working backwards

Volume of a sphere?? Does it have to do with density

1. What is the mass of Earth's atmosphere?

The mass of Earth's atmosphere is approximately 5.1480 x 10^18 kilograms, or 5.1480 x 10^15 metric tons.

2. How does the mass of Earth's atmosphere compare to the mass of the planet?

The mass of Earth's atmosphere is relatively small compared to the mass of the planet. It is estimated to be about 0.00004% of the total mass of Earth.

3. How is the mass of Earth's atmosphere measured?

The mass of Earth's atmosphere is typically measured using satellite data and calculations based on atmospheric pressure, temperature, and density. Scientists also use ground-based measurements and computer models to estimate the mass.

4. Does the mass of Earth's atmosphere change over time?

Yes, the mass of Earth's atmosphere does change over time. Natural factors such as volcanic eruptions, wildfires, and changes in the Earth's orbit can affect the amount of gases in the atmosphere, thus impacting its mass. Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, also contribute to changes in the atmosphere's mass.

5. What is the importance of knowing the mass of Earth's atmosphere?

Knowing the mass of Earth's atmosphere is crucial for understanding the planet's climate and weather patterns. It also helps scientists study the Earth's atmosphere as a system and how it interacts with other systems, such as the biosphere and hydrosphere. Additionally, knowing the mass of the atmosphere is important for predicting and mitigating the effects of natural disasters, such as hurricanes and tornadoes, which are influenced by atmospheric mass and density.