Power series when to use Frobenius method

In summary: So the Frobenius method is only needed for equations with singular points, and the ordinary power series method is always good enough.
John777
Hi, I'm new to the forum and need some help regarding my calc class. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

In doing a power series series solution when should I use the frobenius method and when should I use the simple power series method. The simple method seems a little faster, but I know there is a certain type of problem where you must use frobenius.

Frobenius being y=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]AnXn+s

Regular method being y =[tex]\Sigma[/tex]AnXn

Physics news on Phys.org
These 2 are equivalent

kof9595995 said:
These 2 are equivalent

Don't take this the wrong way as I'm just trying to learn, but why do they teach both methods? There is no difference between them?

John777 said:
Don't take this the wrong way as I'm just trying to learn, but why do they teach both methods? There is no difference between them?

There is a difference between them, but for differential equations without a singularity at some value of x the difference disappears because you will be forced to conclude s = 0.

When you have a differential equation with a singularity at some value of x, you will find a non-trivial value of s when you do a power series around the singular point.

i.e., if you have a singularity at a point x = c, you would plug in a series

[tex]y = \sum_{n=0}^\infty A_n(x-c)^{n+s}[/tex]

and you would get s = some non-zero number. If there were no singularity at x = c, you would find s = 0.

Can you explain what correction does the xs factor contribute exactly? I don't see why the Frobenius method improves the failing ordinary power series method.

You use "Frobenius" method when the point about which you are exanding (the "[itex]x_0[/itex]" in [itex]\sum a_n(x-x_0)^n[/itex]) is a "regular singular point". That means that the leading coefficient has a singularity there, but not "too bad" a singularity: essentially that is acts like [itex](x- x_0)^{-n}[/itex] for nth order equations but no worse. Every DE text I have seen explains all that.

1. What is the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is a technique used to find solutions to differential equations with variable coefficients. It is especially useful for solving equations involving power series.

2. When should I use the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method should be used when the coefficients in a differential equation are not constant and cannot be easily solved using other techniques such as separation of variables. It is also useful when looking for solutions in the form of power series.

3. What is the process for using the Frobenius method?

The process for using the Frobenius method involves substituting a power series into the differential equation, solving for the coefficients of the series, and then using these coefficients to find the general solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Frobenius method?

Yes, the Frobenius method is limited to solving linear differential equations with variable coefficients. It also may not work for every equation, as it relies on the existence of a power series solution.

5. Are there any examples of when the Frobenius method is commonly used?

The Frobenius method is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve differential equations that arise in the study of various phenomena, such as heat transfer, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in other fields, such as finance and economics, to model complex systems.