Why particle and antiparticle have the same mass?

In summary, the CPT symmetry allows the "direct" annihilation process of only particle and coresponding antiparticle, allowing by conservation laws.
ndung200790
Please teach me this:
Why particle and coresponding antiparticle have the same mass,because in the annihilation process the mass does not conserve.
Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a good question. In general they really don't have to have the same mass. E.g. in solid state physics, electrons and holes in a semiconductor do have quite different effective masses although they may anihilate each other.
However in relativistic quantum mechanics they have to be equal which is a consequence of Lorentz invariance which has as a consequence CPT symmetry (Symmetry under a combined change of charge, parity and time).

Lorentz invariance which has as a consequence CPT symmetry
CPT symmetry is not the consequence of Lorentz invariance.

haael said:

Lorentt invariance is assumed when deriving CPT theorem. You knew what is that the man is saying and nobody likes nitpicking :P

Antiparticles are predicted by quantum field theory to exist with the same mass as the corresponding particle.
The only thing i can tell you is that, if antiparticles did not have the same mass with their particles then many principles would be violated. One of them that i can think of is causality.

ndung200790 said:
Why particle and coresponding antiparticle have the same mass,because in the annihilation process the mass does not conserve.

Mass does not conserve but energy does.

Mass does not conserve but momentum does.

Generally, two photons are created when an electron and positron annihilate. One of the signatures of this annihilation is the presence of two photons of 511 keV going in opposite directions starting at the point of annihilation. So the fact that the photons have equal energy and by E=mc2 this total energy (1.024 MeV) corresponds with the mass of an electron multiplied by two, we can tell that the positron has the same mass as the electron.

As to there being some deeper reason? I don't think physics has the answer at the moment.

Until we can explain why the different particles have the different masses they do (i.e. why the electron has a mass of about 1/200th the muon and 1/1836th the proton, etc.), I don't think we'll have a firm enough grasp on the underlying mechanisms of mass to explain antiparticle mass.

haael said:

You might want to check http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0201258 before claiming that. The entire point of this paper is that violations of CPT (at least in interacting theories) necessarily imply violations of Lorentz symmetry. In other words, if there is good Lorentz symmetry, there must also be good CPT symmetry. How is that not an equivalent statement?

ndung200790 said:
Please teach me this:
Thank you very much in advance.

Hrmm, that's like asking why an electron has an electric charge of -1. It just does.

It seem that the CPT symmetry leads to all observable quantities have the same absolute values for particle and antiparticle.So CPT symmetry permits the "direct" annihilation process of only particle and coresponding antiparticle allowing by conservation laws.
Please teach me about that.Thank you very much

ndung200790 said:
It seem that the CPT symmetry leads to all observable quantities have the same absolute values for particle and antiparticle.

Yes. In fact, the CPT principle is stronger than this. It says that if you invert all conserved charges (that is, change their sign, at least for the kind of charges that add), invert parity (that is, reverse the direction of each axis of space), and reverse the direction of time, you will get back the exact same laws of physics we already have, meaning that the rates and probabilities of any given processes are exactly the same as for their CPT counterpart processes.

So CPT symmetry permits the "direct" annihilation process of only particle and coresponding antiparticle allowing by conservation laws.
Please teach me about that.Thank you very much

No. In fact, the weak force allows annihilations between particles and antiparticles that don't even have the same electric charge. For instance, an up quark and a down antiquark can annihilate into a positron and a neutrino. There are rules governing what annihilations are and aren't allowed. (In essence, the net electric charge of the two particles must be an integer number of electron charges, there must be exactly one particle and exactly one antiparticle, and, if the net charge is 0, the two particles must be of the same species.)

So,in weak interaction.the gauge symmetry U(1) is violated?

Sorry,now I can understand!

Why electron and antimuyon can not annihilate,despite both of them are leptons and seem that the conservation laws would not be violated if the annihilation happened.

I have just known that process violate flavour number conserve law

Yes, but favour is not exactly conserved as we know from neutrino oscillations. So it is possible in principle for an anti-myon and an electron to anihilate.

ndung200790 said:
So,in weak interaction.the gauge symmetry U(1) is violated?

No. Electric charge will be conserved in these processes. This is not an annihilation to photons.

DrDu said:
Yes, but favour is not exactly conserved as we know from neutrino oscillations. So it is possible in principle for an anti-myon and an electron to anihilate.

I think this should be possible at one loop. However, in addition to the standard loop factor suppression of
[tex]\sim \frac{1}{16\pi^2}[/tex]
of the cross-section, there will be a suppression of the amplitude by something like
[tex]\frac{m_\nu^{\phantom{\nu}2}m_em_\mu}{m_W^{\phantom{W}4}},[/tex]
which makes this sort of process quite unlikely, indeed.

Last edited:

1. Why do particles and antiparticles have the same mass?

Particles and antiparticles have the same mass because they are essentially the same particle with opposite properties. This is known as charge conjugation symmetry, meaning that the properties of a particle and its antiparticle are interchangeable.

2. How do we know that particles and antiparticles have the same mass?

Scientists have conducted numerous experiments, such as colliding particles and antiparticles at high speeds, which have consistently shown that they have the same mass. Additionally, theories and equations in particle physics also support this notion.

3. Is there any difference between particles and antiparticles other than their charge?

Aside from their opposite charge, particles and antiparticles have identical properties, including mass, spin, and magnetic moment. They only differ in their electric charge and certain quantum numbers.

4. Can particles and antiparticles annihilate each other if they have the same mass?

Yes, particles and antiparticles can annihilate each other if they have the same mass. This occurs when a particle collides with its corresponding antiparticle, resulting in the conversion of their mass into energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.

5. Why is it important that particles and antiparticles have the same mass?

The fact that particles and antiparticles have the same mass is crucial in understanding the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe. It also plays a significant role in the study of particle physics and the development of technologies such as PET scanners and particle accelerators.