Is the Singularity Still Present in Our Universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the holographic universe theory and its relation to quantum mechanics and religious beliefs. The speaker has concluded that the Big Bang started as a singularity and that quantum mechanics suggests that energy can exist outside of space and time. They also question the possibility of photons existing in multiple places at the same time and the concept of nonlocality. The speaker acknowledges that they may have made some mistakes and plans to further discuss this topic in the philosophy section.
PIT2
Hello I am new here, I am a science and physics noob so please go easy on me. I have been wondering about the true nature of reality for some time, just because I am curious. During the proces I've come across the holographic universe theory, some quantum mechanics, some religious stuff, etc.

Heres what i have concluded so far and i would like to know if there are any mistakes in it:

The Big Bang started off as a singularity.

Quantum mechanics has shown that it is possible for energy to exist 'outside' of space and 'outside' of time.

So basicly, all information/energy can exist in a single point(because it needs no space) without beginning or ending(because it needs no time).

So that could mean that right now, everything is still a singularity, because the energy doesn't need to (or cannot) exist in space and time.

So this means that the singularity is still there and that everything is 1 energy.

Ok that was it, please let me know if this is possible or if i made some mistakes.

Likes tim0t
Physics news on Phys.org
PIT2 said:
Quantum mechanics has shown that it is possible for energy to exist 'outside' of space and 'outside' of time.
It does? I think you might want to rethink that one.

I put 'outside' between quotes because i know i put it wrong somehow.

What i meant is: can't a photon be at two places at the same time and doesn't that mean that it doesn't really exist in space(untill its observed)? That its nonlocal?

[edit] i think i put this one in the wrong forum, it should be in the philosophy section, ill put it there myself.

Last edited:

1. What is the Singularity in our Universe?

The Singularity in our Universe refers to the moment in time, at the beginning of the Big Bang, when all matter and energy was concentrated into a single point of infinite density and temperature. This is the theoretical starting point of our Universe.

2. How do we know if the Singularity is still present in our Universe?

While the Singularity is a theoretical concept, there is strong evidence to suggest that it is no longer present in our Universe. The expansion of the Universe, as observed through the redshift of light from distant galaxies, indicates that the Universe has been expanding since the Big Bang, and therefore the Singularity no longer exists.

3. Can the Singularity reappear in our Universe?

It is highly unlikely that the Singularity will reappear in our Universe. The laws of physics, specifically the second law of thermodynamics, suggest that the Universe will continue to expand and cool, making it impossible for the Singularity to reform.

4. What role does the Singularity play in the study of the Universe?

The Singularity is an important concept in the study of the Universe as it provides a starting point for understanding the origins of our Universe. It also helps to explain the expansion and evolution of the Universe, and serves as a foundation for many theories and models in cosmology.

5. How does the concept of the Singularity relate to other scientific theories?

The concept of the Singularity is closely related to other scientific theories, such as the Big Bang theory and general relativity. It also plays a role in the study of black holes and their formation. However, the Singularity is still a theoretical concept and there is ongoing research and debate on its exact nature and role in the Universe.