Are Green Lasers Illegal in Canada?

In summary, green lasers are considered a safety hazard in Canada and any laser pointer with a power output of over 5 milliwatts is illegal to possess without a specific permit. Bringing a green laser pointer into Canada without proper documentation or permits can result in confiscation and potential legal consequences. However, there are exceptions to the ban, such as with a valid permit from Health Canada or for approved purposes. Low-power green laser pointers are also legal to possess without a permit in Canada.
dacruick
Hi, I have this pretty cool 5mW green laser and I'm wondering if it is legal as long as I don't try to blind drivers and pilots.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr Lots-o'watts said:
What is illegal is to try to hurt people intentionally
Which - with the exception of hockey - is generally true of most things in Canada

1. Are green lasers illegal in Canada?

Yes, some green laser pointers are illegal in Canada. Specifically, any laser pointer with a power output of over 5 milliwatts is considered a prohibited weapon and is illegal to possess without a specific permit.

2. Why are green lasers illegal in Canada?

Green lasers are considered a safety hazard in Canada due to the potential harm they can cause to human eyes and aircraft pilots. The high power output of some green lasers can cause permanent damage to the retina and can also distract or blind pilots, posing a serious safety risk.

3. Can I bring a green laser pointer into Canada?

It is not recommended to bring a green laser pointer into Canada without proper documentation or permits. If the laser pointer has a power output of over 5 milliwatts, it will most likely be confiscated by customs officials as it is considered a prohibited weapon. It is best to check with Canadian customs before attempting to bring a green laser pointer into the country.

4. What are the consequences of possessing an illegal green laser in Canada?

Possessing an illegal green laser in Canada can result in fines and even criminal charges. Since it is considered a prohibited weapon, individuals caught with a high-power green laser pointer could face up to 10 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $5000.

5. Are there any exceptions to the green laser ban in Canada?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the green laser ban in Canada. Those with a valid permit from Health Canada or those using the laser for approved purposes such as scientific research or medical procedures are exempt from the ban. Additionally, low-power green laser pointers (less than 5 milliwatts) are legal to possess in Canada without a permit.