Can Hydroelectric Plants be Improved with Alternative Energy Concepts?

In summary: It is an idea for a hydroelectric plant and the engineer thinks that it may have potential. They also created an alternative venture capital system based on the internet which could help finance other patents.
pelastration
Chronos said:
A little late to apply for that patent. It is called the hydroelectric plant.
Which uses classic generators with a lot of friction. Also friction is the result of gravitation. An electronic engineer told me a classic generator uses about 30 to 35% of it's power to create the rotation against the electro-magnetic field. He told me that he never saw something similar to my concept(s) and that they should work. Now we need to build a working prototype. That's were the money comes in. For such projects you need a lot. That's why I created some months ago an alternative venture capital system based on Internet, also for other patents from other people. Maybe I should present it in a new debunking thread but it's a business concept. Some will interpret it as self-promoting.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
well...actually that is a solar powered system, but point taken.
Indeed HydroE is a solar powered cycling system too. The good points with other solar systems like solarcells is that there is almost no mechanical friction, it's clean, you can apply it locally on small level, and after the initial investment and installation it generates power. The target is to make them better, more efficient. A lot is happening on that level.

For investors it's the ROI that counts. (Return on Investment).

pelastration said:
Which uses classic generators with a lot of friction. Also friction is the result of gravitation. An electronic engineer told me a classic generator uses about 30 to 35% of it's power to create the rotation against the electro-magnetic field.
I think you may be mixing several issues here. Mechanical friction is not a major source of loss in a generator. And electrical "friction" isn't a problem - its the very effect you are trying to create. 30-35% sounds like the efficiency of thermodynamic cycle plant (ie steam engine, gas turbine, etc) - the vast majority of that 65-70% loss isn't friction, its heat. An electric generator itself is upwards of 90% efficient.

As for evaluating your idea, it sounds like you need a mechanical engineer, not an electrical engineer to evaluate it. Anyway, if you can get your patents, then the engineers can help you package a proposal to send out.

If you want to discuss this more (its up to you - I can understand if you're worried about intellectual property), maybe Ivan can split this off into an engineering forum...

edit: thinking about this a little more, were you talking about losses in the turbine itself? Based on what I know about pumps (a pump is a turbine running in reverse), efficiency there is more like 75% and the loss is mostly due to fluid dynamics.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
If you want to discuss this more (its up to you - I can understand if you're worried about intellectual property), maybe Ivan can split this off into an engineering forum...

okay. :smile:

1. What is alternative energy?

Alternative energy refers to any source of energy that is not derived from traditional fossil fuels, such as coal, oil, and natural gas. Examples of alternative energy sources include solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass.

2. Why is alternative energy important?

Alternative energy is important because it offers a sustainable and renewable solution to meet our energy needs. Unlike fossil fuels, which are finite resources that contribute to climate change and environmental degradation, alternative energy sources are cleaner and have a much lower impact on the environment.

3. How does alternative energy work?

Alternative energy works by harnessing natural resources such as the sun, wind, water, and heat from the earth to generate electricity or power. Solar energy is converted into electricity through photovoltaic cells, wind energy is captured by turbines, hydro energy is harnessed through dams, and geothermal energy is extracted from the earth's heat.

4. What are the benefits of using alternative energy?

The benefits of using alternative energy include reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, decreasing greenhouse gas emissions, creating new job opportunities in the renewable energy sector, and promoting energy independence.

5. What are the challenges of implementing alternative energy?

One of the main challenges of implementing alternative energy is the initial cost of setting up the infrastructure and technology. Another challenge is the intermittency of some alternative energy sources, such as solar and wind, which can be overcome through energy storage solutions. Additionally, there may be resistance from industries and individuals who are heavily invested in the fossil fuel industry.