Quick and dirty fix for a leaking plant

• Thread starter Li18nxBoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plant
In summary: At first there will be a lot of gas escaping through it. Venting veins will spider through the mix and hopefully the gas flow will carry the mud further down the vein slowly shrinking the diameter until it closes.You will be not able to seal something that produces such large amount of energy, it will melt its way to the outside.
Li18nxBoy
I had a lot more detail typed up but windows decided to eat it

So here is my idea:

(link to some epoxy resin deleted)

crazy strong stuff, think of JBweld concentrate mixed with silica.

Throw some steel fiber in the mix for good measure.

Now if this stuff gets to hot it will burn off, however heat help epoxy cure faster (try it out with JBweld and a lighter)

So we need to cool it, liquid-nitrogen gets stuff cold in a hurry.

now to get the stuff on the leak

I think a self guided bomb filled with the before mentioned mix with a liquid-nitrogen core might be able to seal the reactor.

so there it is, 100+ tons of high strength epoxy dropped from high altitude

what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Li18nxBoy said:
what do you think?

Day dreaming is a nice thing to do, but solutions have to be based on knowledge. Your idea is off on many levels.

Amount of energy present in the reactor is high enough to burn all the epoxy you throw on the reactor, put it on fire, and make things much worse than they are now.

If cooling with liquid nitrogen was an option it would be done without throwing epoxy on top of the pile.

Li18nxBoy said:
...here is my idea:...JBweld concentrate mixed with silica...So we need to cool it, liquid-nitrogen gets stuff cold in a hurry...guided bomb filled with the before mentioned mix with a liquid-nitrogen core might be able to seal the reactor...
The containment is reinforced concrete 3 feet thick. It is immensely strong. If it is ruptured, splattering something on the outside will not seal it securely.

Regarding cooling it, reactors #2 and #3 have thermal outputs of 2.4 billion watts each. After they were automatically scrammed (shut down) during the earthquake, thermal output was still 5% of the full power figure:

2.4 billion watts * .05 = 120 million thermal watts.

Think about what is necessary to cool 120 megawatts.

A hand-held blow dryer is 1500 electric watts, with similar thermal output (electric heat is nearly 100% efficient). A recently-scrammed reactor will still be producing thermal energy equivalent to 80,000 blow dryers.

Borek said:
Day dreaming is a nice thing to do, but solutions have to be based on knowledge. Your idea is off on many levels.

Theirs no harm in tossing the old peanut around, you never know where the sulution can come from.

Could explain why you don't believe this would work?

Amount of energy present in the reactor is high enough to burn all the epoxy you throw on the reactor, put it on fire, and make things much worse than they are now.

I don't know how the grout would handle it, but when JBweld is burned it makes a hard porous crust that does not have as much strength as it would be if it cured but it is still fairly strong.

If cooling with liquid nitrogen was an option it would be done without throwing epoxy on top of the pile.

The liquid nitrogen isn't meant to cool the reactor, it's to stabilize the epoxies chemical reaction, keep it from getting to hot.

joema said:
The containment is reinforced concrete 3 feet thick. It is immensely strong. If it is ruptured, splattering something on the outside will not seal it securely.

I worked as a labor at a coal power-plant in Gillette WY, this it what they used to secure the turbine, main pumps and burner. I don't know what they used on these walls but I wouldn't be surprised if was this stuff.

Regarding cooling it, reactors #2 and #3 have thermal outputs of 2.4 billion watts each. After they were automatically scrammed (shut down) during the earthquake, thermal output was still 5% of the full power figure:

2.4 billion watts * .05 = 120 million thermal watts.

Think about what is necessary to cool 120 megawatts.

A hand-held blow dryer is 1500 electric watts, with similar thermal output (electric heat is nearly 100% efficient). A recently-scrammed reactor will still be producing thermal energy equivalent to 80,000 blow dryers.

I understand its hot, but this isn't about cooling it. I am trying to seal it, the only thing that needs cooled is the epoxy.

Last edited:
I have thought about the pressure as well...

the mix has steel fiber mixed into to it so its going to want to stick together. At first there will be a lot of gas escaping through it. Venting veins will spider through the mix and hopefully the gas flow will carry the mud further down the vein slowly shrinking the diameter until it closes

You will be not able to seal something that produces such large amount of energy, it will melt its way to the outside.

Borek said:
You will be not able to seal something that produces such large amount of energy, it will melt its way to the outside.

Do yourself a little experiment, go to your local auto-parts store and get some JBweld, heat it to the boiling point then flash cool it with icewater and it will cure in seconds.

With the right formula and cooling... you never know, its worth considering at least.

Li18nxBoy said:
JBweld, heat it to the boiling point then flash cool it with icewater and it will cure in seconds.

keep in mind it will lose a lot of strength with this as well

Li18nxBoy said:
Do yourself a little experiment, go to your local auto-parts store and get some JBweld, heat it to the boiling point then flash cool it with icewater and it will cure in seconds...
You can't patch a complete failure in a major structural member by dropping stuff on it, whether it's a reactor containment or suspension bridge.

You're not adhesively gluing two mating surfaces, but filling a probable gaping hole in a wall that's three feet thick.

If you could get inside the containment, erect an interior form, go outside, erect an exterior form, you *might* be able to pour in something that would fill the suspected breach. It still wouldn't be nearly as strong as the original, which is reinforced concrete three feet thick.

JBWeld has a max temperature limit of 500 deg. F. Likewise epoxy resins are typically in the hundreds of deg. F. Whatever you hypothetically repair the containment breech with would have to endure an adjacent heat source of 120 megawatts. That is equivalent to 60,000 electric ovens on high.

1. How can I quickly fix a leaking plant?

The quickest way to fix a leaking plant is to first identify the source of the leak. This could be a crack in the pot, a hole in the plant's container, or a damaged stem or leaf. Once you have identified the source, you can use a waterproof sealant or tape to patch up the leak.

2. What if the leak is coming from the soil?

If the leak is coming from the soil, it could be due to overwatering or poor drainage. To fix this, stop watering the plant for a few days to allow the soil to dry out. You can also repot the plant in a container with better drainage, or add some pebbles or sand to the bottom of the pot to improve drainage.

3. Can I use household items to fix a leaking plant?

Yes, there are several household items that can be used to fix a leaking plant. These include duct tape, clear nail polish, or even a hot glue gun. Just make sure to use these items sparingly and avoid getting them on the plant's leaves or roots.

4. Will a quick fix last or do I need to repot the plant?

A quick fix can temporarily stop a leak, but it is important to address the root cause of the leak to prevent it from happening again. If the pot is cracked or the plant's container is damaged, it may be best to repot the plant into a new container. If the leak is due to overwatering or poor drainage, adjusting your watering habits or repotting with better drainage can help prevent future leaks.

5. Can I prevent leaks in plants?

While some leaks may be unavoidable, there are steps you can take to prevent leaks in plants. These include regularly checking the condition of the pot and container, providing proper drainage, and avoiding overwatering. Additionally, repotting plants every year or two can help prevent cracks in pots and containers from forming.