Can You Study Physics in the UK Without GSE A Levels?

• Thread starter nox331
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is interested in studying physics at a university level in the UK but does not have equivalent GSE A levels. They have been actively seeking ways to learn more about physics and have concerns about the Open University and other universities potentially limiting their future opportunities. However, there are many other universities in the UK that offer excellent physics programs and may accept credits from the Open University. It is recommended that the individual continue their pursuit of studying physics and not let their lack of GSE A levels discourage them.
nox331
Hello,

I'm 25 and I do live in the UK and I'm really interested in physics at all.
Last two years I've spend on M.I.T. OCW, SCS, youtube :) books, etc.. trying to
understand what's going on :)
... in simply I want to do a Uni in physics but I have no equivalent for GSE 'A' lvls
I've started with Open University(part time/distand) courses to collect some credits (maybe degree)
as an equivalent for GSE As, because I found many universities accept OU credits.
Cambridge and Oxford do accept OU credits but I don't think so I will get there.
But in other way if I'll stay on the OU and finish the BSc or I'll go to some crappy uni like Keele or so
It's going to cripple me in future.
I want to stay in physics forever :).

Mainly I'm looking for some good mathematics & physics degree in the UK who does
accept OU credits.

(please excuse my english level im' from Czech rep.)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! It's great to hear that you have a passion for physics and have been actively seeking ways to learn more about it. It's never too late to pursue a degree in physics, and there are definitely options for you even without GSE A levels.

First of all, it's important to note that while Cambridge and Oxford are highly prestigious universities, there are many other universities in the UK that offer excellent physics programs. Don't limit yourself to just these two options.

In terms of your concern about the Open University and other universities potentially "crippling" you in the future, I would advise you to not worry about that. What's important is the quality of education and the skills and knowledge you gain, not necessarily the name or ranking of the university. Many universities in the UK offer strong physics programs and have reputable research opportunities as well.

In terms of finding a university that accepts OU credits, I would recommend doing some research on individual university websites or contacting their admissions departments directly. Each university may have their own policies and requirements for accepting credits from other institutions.

Overall, my advice would be to continue pursuing your passion for physics and don't let your lack of GSE A levels hold you back. There are definitely options for you to study physics at a university level in the UK. Best of luck to you!

1. What are alternative ways to study physics?

Alternative ways to study physics include using different theories and approaches, utilizing advanced technology and equipment, and considering interdisciplinary perspectives.

2. How can alternative ways to physics benefit scientific research?

Alternative ways to physics can offer new insights and solutions to complex problems, expand our understanding of the natural world, and lead to innovative advancements in technology.

3. Are there any limitations to alternative ways of studying physics?

Like any scientific approach, alternative ways to physics may have limitations such as the need for further testing and validation, potential biases, and challenges in application to real-world scenarios.

4. Can alternative ways to physics challenge traditional scientific beliefs?

Yes, alternative ways to physics can challenge traditional scientific beliefs by offering new perspectives and theories that may contradict established ideas. This can lead to healthy debate and further exploration in the field.

5. How can one incorporate alternative ways of studying physics into their research?

One can incorporate alternative ways of studying physics by staying open-minded, actively seeking out new theories and approaches, collaborating with experts in other fields, and continuously questioning and reevaluating current beliefs and practices.