Creating 3D Graphs in Math Textbooks - Tips & Advice

In summary, the conversation discusses different programs that can be used to create graphs in textbooks, such as Asymptote, MetaPost, Inkscape, OriginLab, and Sigma plot. It is suggested that these programs can be compatible with LaTeX and can create high-quality vector graphics.
Cod
Does anyone know which program writers and publishers use to create graphs in textbooks (see attachement for example)? I'm trying to create a basic 3D graph like the one in the attachment, but can't seem to figure it out. To give you an idea, I'm trying to begin by graphing simple circles in a specific plane (z).

Any help / guidance is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 585
Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess they have professional digital media people create them as normal pictures. Someone who really knows what they're doing can get something like that in 5-10 minutes.

If you want free software that is compatible with LaTeX, look at
http://asymptote.sourceforge.net
The advantage of this is that the text in labels etc can be linked to the actual drawing, so if you decide to move a point from x = 2 to x = 3, the relevant labels will automatically move to the correct positions and the text in the labels will automatically update.

Asymptote is based on an earlier 2D package
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetaPost
(but the user interface is very diifferent form MetaPost)

MetaPost was derived from MetaFont, which Knuth wrote to create the original fonts for TeX.

If you have LaTeX, you probably already have MetaPost.

You could also try http://inkscape.org/" ).
They're both vector graphics programs that can play nicely with latex.
I've used them both for making diagrams for lecture notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
OriginLab and Sigma plot are two options.

1. How do I determine which type of 3D graph to use?

The type of 3D graph you choose will depend on the data you are trying to represent. For example, if you want to show a relationship between two variables, a scatter plot or line graph may be appropriate. If you want to compare data across different categories, a bar graph or stacked bar graph may be more suitable.

2. What is the best way to label and title a 3D graph?

Labels and titles are important for helping readers understand the information presented in a 3D graph. The x, y, and z axes should be clearly labeled and units of measurement should be included if applicable. The title should accurately reflect the purpose of the graph and be concise.

3. How do I choose appropriate scales for each axis?

The scales of the x, y, and z axes should be carefully chosen to clearly display the data without distortion. If the data ranges are large, it may be helpful to use logarithmic scales. It is also important to ensure that the scales are evenly spaced and labeled in a consistent manner.

4. How can I make my 3D graph visually appealing and easy to interpret?

To make your 3D graph visually appealing, choose a color scheme that is easy on the eyes and use clear and legible fonts. Adding a legend to explain any symbols or colors used can also make the graph more user-friendly. It is also helpful to use clear and descriptive axis labels and include a title that accurately reflects the data being presented.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when creating 3D graphs?

One common mistake is using 3D graphs when they are not necessary. In some cases, a 2D graph may be more appropriate and easier to interpret. Additionally, be cautious of using a 3D effect purely for aesthetic purposes, as it can distort the data. It is also important to ensure that the data is accurately represented and not misleading in any way.