Too few examples to explain The principles of quantum mechanics by dirac.

In summary, Dirac's principle of wave-particle duality states that wave-like properties (like momentum) can be associated with particles, and vice versa. The notation is more general than just position and momentum, and makes it easy to convert between representations.
DiracRules
Too few examples to explain "The principles of quantum mechanics" by dirac.

Hi!

I studied my first course of quantum physics without a technical formalism (I'm studying physics engineering).
I find some hindrances in paragraph 20.
It says (I'm translating from Italian):
In a representation in which the complete set of commuting observables [itex]\xi_1',\ldots,\xi_u'[/itex] are diagonal any ket [itex]|P>[/itex] will have a representative [itex]<\xi_1'\,\,\xi_u'|P>[/itex] or [itex]<\xi'|P>[/itex] for brevity. This representative is a definite function of the variables [itex]\xi'[/itex], say [itex]\psi(\xi')[/itex]. The function [itex]\psi[/itex] then determines the ket [itex]|P>[/itex] completely, so it may be used to label this ket, to replace the arbitrary label [itex]P[/itex]. In symbols, if [itex]<\xi'|P>=\psi(\xi')[/itex] we put [itex]|P>=|\psi(\xi)>[/itex]
After a few lines, he says that we can formally write [itex]|P>=\psi(\xi)[/itex], where [itex]\psi(\xi)[/itex] is the wave function.

What I cannot understand is how to transpose these symbols in effective calculations.
For example, if [itex]|P>[/itex] represent the superposition of the first two states of a particle (say an electron) in an infinite well, what is [itex]\psi(\xi)[/itex]? How can I find it?

Physics news on Phys.org

If we let |0> and |1> denote the ground state and first excited state of a system, and let |P> be some superposition |P> = α |0> + β |1>, then we can represent these quantities in terms of the position x by multiplying on the left by the bra <x|, getting <x|P> = α <x|0> + β <x|1>. Or as functions, calling <x|0> ≡ f0(x) and <x|1> ≡ f1(x) we have the wavefunction P(x) = α f0(x) + β f1(x).

The advantage to Dirac's bra-ket notation is that it is more general: you can represent everything in terms of functions of momentum by multiplying instead by <p|. Or you can handle more general cases in which the wavefunction is described by several quantities, such as spin plus position. Bra-ket notation also makes it easy to convert back and forth between different representations.

your kets, are a set of solutions to the wavefunction dscribed by the Hamiltonian, and can interpreted as physical states of the system. the corresponding eigenvalues are then the probabilities associated with finding the system in that eigenstate (provided we have an orthonormal basis set), but the notation allows you to transform your set of solutions to any observable (say momentum or spin state), using the orthogonolisation procedure.

1. What is quantum mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of these particles, which in turn allows us to develop new technologies and make advancements in fields like medicine and engineering.

2. Who is Paul Dirac and what are his contributions to quantum mechanics?

Paul Dirac was a British physicist who made significant contributions to the development of quantum mechanics in the early 20th century. He is best known for his formulation of the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of relativistic quantum particles, and for his work on quantum electrodynamics.

3. What are the principles of quantum mechanics as explained by Dirac?

The principles of quantum mechanics as explained by Dirac include the wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and the concept of superposition. He also introduced the concept of anti-particles and predicted the existence of antimatter.

4. Why are there too few examples to explain the principles of quantum mechanics by Dirac?

There are too few examples to explain the principles of quantum mechanics by Dirac because the theory is highly complex and mathematical, and many of its principles cannot be easily visualized or observed in everyday life. Additionally, quantum mechanics is constantly evolving and new discoveries are being made, making it difficult to provide a comprehensive explanation with a few examples.

5. How can I learn more about quantum mechanics and Dirac's contributions to the field?

If you are interested in learning more about quantum mechanics and Dirac's work, there are many resources available. You can read books written by physicists, watch lectures and documentaries, or enroll in a course on the subject. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of mathematics, as it is a fundamental tool in understanding quantum mechanics.