Non-linear Schrodinger Equation (Differential Equation)

In summary, the person is working on a pulse propagation problem in optical fiber and needs help from someone. They have written a program to find traveling wave solutions, but they need help understanding the difference between a time-dependent and a time-independent solution. They also need help with adaptive mesh.
syedmohsin
Hello,

i am working on pulse propagation in optical fiber. i have to simulate the nonlinear Schrodinger equation using the FDTD (Finite Difference Time Domain) method. The Schrodinger equation has the form dA/dz = i/2 β2 d2A/dt2 –α/2 +iγ |A2|A

where β2 is dispersion, α is attenuation and γ is fiber non-linearity.

I need to do this in MATLAB. Please help me in simulation or send me a MATLAB code related to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need an adaptive mesh type code. The NLS equation is weakly nonlinear but the equations are somewhat tricky to solve, I have written programs which find traveling wave solutions.

hunt_mat said:
You will need an adaptive mesh type code. The NLS equation is weakly nonlinear but the equations are somewhat tricky to solve, I have written programs which find traveling wave solutions.

Sir can you email main that code? my email is syedmohsinshah@gmail.com
If you give me some time i will discuss my work with you by email.

I am looking for traveling wave solutions, and I think that is a vast difference to what you want. You want time dependent one right?

i don't understand the difference but yes i want time dependent solution

I look for a solution of the form [itex]A(t,x)=A(x-\omega t)[/itex]

For my work i have a simple numerical solution. i need to generate a Gaussian pulse and then to propagate along the fiber length. i can use simple difference derivative or Crank Nicholson difference. The solution has the form:
Ai+1,n = Ai,n +j delta x ( ½ β2(Ai,n+1 – 2Ai,n + Ai,n-1)/delta t2 ) j delta x γ |A2|A

Where β2 is fiber dispersion and γ is fiber nonlinearity
i is space step and n is time step

I don't think that my code will help you then but adaptive mesh will be the best way forward.

Can you guide me about adaptive mesh method or send some links about it?

Thank you so much

1. What is the Non-linear Schrodinger Equation?

The Non-linear Schrodinger Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the evolution of a quantum system with non-linear interactions. It is used to model a variety of physical phenomena, including superfluidity, Bose-Einstein condensates, and optical solitons.

2. How is the Non-linear Schrodinger Equation different from the Linear Schrodinger Equation?

The Linear Schrodinger Equation describes the behavior of a quantum system with linear interactions, while the Non-linear Schrodinger Equation takes into account non-linear interactions. This means that the Non-linear Schrodinger Equation is more complex and can exhibit more interesting and unexpected behavior.

3. What are some applications of the Non-linear Schrodinger Equation?

The Non-linear Schrodinger Equation has a wide range of applications, including in quantum optics, Bose-Einstein condensates, and superfluidity. It is also used in the study of non-linear dynamics and chaos theory.

4. What are some numerical methods for solving the Non-linear Schrodinger Equation?

Some common numerical methods for solving the Non-linear Schrodinger Equation include the split-step Fourier method, the Crank-Nicolson method, and the Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve breaking the equation into smaller, more manageable parts and using iterative techniques to find a solution.

5. What are the limitations of the Non-linear Schrodinger Equation?

While the Non-linear Schrodinger Equation is a powerful tool for modeling non-linear quantum systems, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is in a stationary state and does not take into account the effects of dissipation or external forces. Additionally, it may not accurately describe systems with strong non-linearities or interactions with other particles.