Real Variables: Measurability of {x: x∈An i.o.}

• Thread starter glacier302
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the measurability of a set E and its measure being zero in certain conditions. The attempt at a solution suggests defining the measure on E using the measures of each A_n and checking its properties.
glacier302

Homework Statement

Let An, n = 1,2,..., be a sequence of measurable sets. Let E = {x: x∈An i.o.}.

(a) Prove that E is a measurable set.

(b) Prove that m(E) = 0 if ∑m(An) < ∞

Homework Equations

A point x is said to be in An infinitely often (i.o.) if there is an infinite sequence of integers n1<n2<... such that x∈Ank for every k.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure where to start with part (a). For part (b), if ∑m(An) < ∞
then E is countable, therefore m(E) = 0...I can't really explain why E is countable, though, it's just an instinct.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated : )

Physics news on Phys.org
My first instinct would be to try and explicitly define the measure on E.
Each [itex]A_n[/itex] comes with its own measure [itex]\mu_n[/itex] so you could try something like
[tex]\mu_E(x) := \sum_{n \mid x \in A_n} \mu_n(x)[/tex]
and check that it is a measure.

I think I figured it out. Thank you!

1. What is the definition of measurability in real variables?

Measurability in real variables refers to the ability to measure or assign a numerical value to a set of real numbers. In other words, it is the property of a set to have a well-defined size or measure.

2. How is measurability related to the concept of "almost everywhere"?

The concept of "almost everywhere" is closely related to measurability in real variables. It states that a property or statement holds true for all elements in a set except for a set of measure zero. In other words, a set is said to be measurable if it has a well-defined measure almost everywhere.

3. What does the notation "An i.o." mean in the context of measurability of real variables?

The notation "An i.o." stands for "almost all n." It is used to denote that a property or statement holds true for almost all values of the variable n, except for a set of measure zero.

4. Why is measurability important in real variables?

Measurability is important in real variables because it allows us to define and study measurable functions, which are essential in many areas of mathematics, such as measure theory, probability, and integration theory. Measurable functions also play a crucial role in the foundations of modern physics and engineering.

5. How is the concept of measurability applied in real-world scenarios?

In real-world scenarios, measurability is often used to measure physical quantities, such as length, area, volume, and mass. It is also used in fields such as economics, finance, and statistics to measure and analyze data sets. Additionally, measurability is utilized in experimental sciences to accurately measure and analyze the results of experiments.