How do nebulas form stars and solar systems?

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks!In summary, nebulae are clouds of gas and can form stars and solar systems. Nebulae can be divided into diffusse and dark nebulae based on their appearance. Most nebulae are composed of about 90% hydrogen and 10% helium. The discrepancy between the mass and number ratios has to do with the conversion from H to He.
DB
What exactly are nebulas and do they form stars and even solar systems? Are they mostly iron?

Ty

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nebula (as opposed to galaxies, which at one time were called nebula) are clouds of gas, mostly hydrogen. Whether or not stars can be born there depends on the size, density, etc.

Nebulae are made of dust and gas; in some parts of the nebula clumps of dust are formed and they collapse gravitationally to form stars. There are to classes of nebulae: diffusse nebulae and dark nebulae. Diffusse nebulae can be divided into emission nebulae and reflection nebulae
I will point also that stars don't form only in nebulae, they also form in giant molecular clouds
Are they mostly iron?
Not quite. Most nebulae are formed of about 90% hydrogen and 10% helium

meteor said:
... Most nebulae are formed of about 90% hydrogen and 10% helium
Well, I would say closer to 75-25, but it's just a fine point.

I believe the discrepancy has to do with what ratio we are talking about for H to He. The mass ratio is about 3-1, while the number ratio is 12.5-1. I hope this clears it up.

Once we convert to the same units, we will find agreement. about 90-10 is ratio by number of hydrogen v helium atoms, 75-25 is the ratio by mass. I had to check cause I pulled 75-25 off the top of my head [a sometimes risky practice]. Anyways, those are the textbook numbers [The New Solar System, Beatty & Chaikin]. No online version of that book but I have a link that includes the relevant table from the book.
http://www.genesismission.org/educate/scimodule/PlanetaryDiversity/plandiv_pdf/SupermarketST.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly, this implies that your average 'nebula gas' is close to primordial (in terms of composition). For the most part, that's quite reasonable (much of the non-primordial stuff in the dark nebulae, reflection nebulae, etc is in the form of dust, not gas), but not always ... for example, nebulae that are 'purely' supernova remnants will likely be deficient in H (and He).

Thanks Nereid
One of the links says that there are 5 types of nebulae: planetary nebulae,supernovae remnants, emission nebulae, reflection nebulae and dark nebulae. But, as there are supernovae remnants, there are also nova remnants. I wonder why these should be marginalized and not included as nebulae

Good point meteor. I was thinking in terms of protosolar nebulae: the kind that birth stars. That was the spirit of the original question as I perceived it. Those of course can be expected to be very similar to the primordial gas clouds from which most stars are formed. Nebulae formed by events of a different nature are, as you note, horses of a different color.

1. What exactly are nebulas, and how are they formed?

Nebulas are large clouds of dust and gas in outer space. They are formed when gravity causes gas and dust to clump together, eventually creating a dense cloud. These clouds can be hundreds of light years across and contain various elements such as hydrogen, helium, and other trace elements.

2. What do nebulas look like?

Nebulas can have a variety of shapes and appearances depending on their location and composition. Some may appear as bright and colorful clouds, while others may be more dim and diffuse. Some may even have distinct structures and patterns, such as the famous "Pillars of Creation" in the Eagle Nebula.

3. Are nebulas important in the formation of stars and planets?

Yes, nebulas play a crucial role in the formation of stars and planets. As the gas and dust within a nebula continue to clump together and accumulate, they can eventually become dense enough to form a star. Planets can also form from the leftover materials in a nebula after a star has formed.

4. How do we study nebulas?

Nebulas can be studied through various methods, such as observations from telescopes and spacecraft, as well as computer simulations. Scientists can analyze the light emitted from nebulas to determine their composition and structure, and also use other techniques to study their physical properties and evolution.

5. Are nebulas dangerous for astronauts or spacecraft?

Most nebulas are not dangerous for astronauts or spacecraft. They are generally spread out over a large area, so the chances of encountering a dense cloud of gas or dust are very low. However, some nebulas may contain high-energy particles that could potentially damage equipment or harm astronauts, so proper precautions should still be taken when exploring these regions of space.