Recommended GR Texts for Physics/Math Background

• Thread starter marschmellow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's background in physics and math and their interest in learning about general relativity. They are unsure if MTW, a textbook on the subject, is suitable for their level of understanding. The expert suggests alternative texts such as Hartle or Carroll, with Carroll being a more recent and free option. They also recommend reading Spacetime Physics for those with concerns about their understanding of special relativity.
marschmellow
My physics background is sparse--I only know classical mechanics and E&M, and I have a self-taught (and therefore foggy) quantitative understanding of special relativity to go with my (I think) strong qualitative understanding. My math background is a bit better but not much: multivariable calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and after this Spring I'll have some abstract algebra under my belt too. I want to figure out if MTW would be a good text for me, but I can't find anything other than its table of contents online, so I have no idea how much it assumes understanding of differential geometry and how much the book teaches you it. If MTW is too advanced for someone of my math-and-physics background, is there another text you would recommend? And I'm perfectly okay with the answer "Please just wait until later before trying to teach yourself GR." If that's true, that would be the most helpful response.

Physics news on Phys.org
MTW is too advanced. You could try Hartle; all you really need is Lagrangian dynamics/calculus of variations and some orbital mechanics. (If you don't know these just read a few chapters of an intermediate mechanics book--Taylor is my favorite--and you should be OK.)

Your background seems fine to me for reading MTW. However, MTW is expensive and 40 years out of date. I would suggest Carroll. It's much more recent, and there's a free version available here: http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March01/Carroll3/Carroll_contents.html If you're concerned about your SR background, try Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler.

1. What are recommended GR texts for someone with a strong physics/math background?

Some commonly recommended GR texts for those with a strong physics/math background include "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler, "A First Course in General Relativity" by Schutz, and "General Relativity" by Wald.

2. Are there any introductory texts for GR that assume less mathematical background?

Yes, there are some introductory texts for GR that assume a minimal mathematical background. These include "Spacetime and Geometry" by Carroll, "Introducing Einstein's Relativity" by D'Inverno, and "A Most Incomprehensible Thing: Notes Towards a Very Gentle Introduction to the Mathematics of Relativity" by Scheck.

3. Are there any online resources for learning about GR?

Yes, there are numerous online resources for learning about GR. Some popular options include online lecture notes from universities such as MIT and Caltech, video lectures on platforms like YouTube and Coursera, and online courses from organizations like the Perimeter Institute.

4. What are some recommended supplementary texts for learning about GR?

Some recommended supplementary texts for learning about GR include "The Large Scale Structure of Spacetime" by Hawking and Ellis, "Introduction to General Relativity" by Lewis and Scherzter, and "General Relativity for Mathematicians" by Sachs and Wu.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of advanced mathematics to learn about GR?

While a strong understanding of advanced mathematics certainly helps in studying GR, it is not necessarily a requirement. There are introductory texts and online resources that can provide a basic understanding of GR without delving too deeply into advanced mathematical concepts. However, a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is usually necessary.