Dirt Streaking on Cars: Causes & Solutions

• Thread starter Roller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
So in summary, the accumulation of dirt on the rear door rear edge is likely caused by the Bernoulli effect, with the lower pressure on the upstream side of the gap drawing dirt particles towards it. This phenomenon is also responsible for the lift produced by aircraft wings.
Roller
On a dirty car that's been traveling at a reasonably fast speed (I'm guessing at 50mph+) there is always dirt accumulation on the rear door rear edge, adjacent to the gap between the door and the bodywork. The accumulation is always on the upstream side of the gap i.e. on the door side of the gap. It's always on the sloping (saloon car) part of the gap, never on the more vertical parts of the gap. It's never on the equivalent gap on the front doors which are always nearly vertical so I'm thinking it's something to do with the gap being at an angle, but I can't understand why the dirt is always on the upstream side of the gap.
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's likely due to the Bernoulli effect. Air flow over a curved surface creates lower pressure on the side of the curve closest to the direction of the airflow (the upstream side). This lower pressure can cause dirt particles and other debris to be drawn toward the gap, creating the buildup of dirt you're seeing. The Bernoulli effect is also why aircraft wings produce lift.

1. What causes dirt streaking on cars?

Dirt streaking on cars is primarily caused by a combination of dust, pollen, and other airborne particles that settle on the surface of the car. These particles can also mix with rain or dew, creating a dirty film on the car's surface.

2. Can the type of soap or wax used affect dirt streaking?

Yes, the type of soap or wax used on a car can contribute to dirt streaking. Some soaps and waxes may leave residue on the car's surface, making it easier for dirt and debris to stick and create streaks. It is important to use a high-quality car soap and wax that is specifically designed for cars to minimize dirt streaking.

3. How can I prevent dirt streaking on my car?

To prevent dirt streaking on your car, it is important to regularly wash and wax your car. This will help create a protective layer on the car's surface, making it harder for dirt and debris to stick. Additionally, parking your car in a covered or shaded area can also help reduce dirt streaking.

4. Are there any other factors that can contribute to dirt streaking on cars?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to dirt streaking on cars. These include driving on dirt or gravel roads, exposure to road salt or chemicals, and even the type of weather conditions. For example, high humidity can make it easier for dirt to stick to the car's surface and create streaks.

5. What are some solutions for removing dirt streaks from a car?

If you notice dirt streaks on your car, the best solution is to give it a thorough wash and wax. Use a high-quality car soap and a soft cloth or sponge to gently remove the dirt streaks. You can also use a detailing spray or clay bar to help remove more stubborn streaks. It is important to avoid harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as they can damage the car's paint. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help prevent dirt streaking in the future.