Covert to Watts, Input and Output Values provided, Covert it to Watts

In summary, the Sony Laptop adapter has an input voltage range of 100-240V with a current of 1.3A and frequency of 50-60Hz. The output voltage is 19.5V with a current of 4.7A, making the output power 19.5*4.7 watts. It is important to note that the dotted line on the output symbol represents DC power, while the straight line represents AC power.
raokhan
I have this Sony Laptop, the adapter has the following specifications:

These are the input and output values of laptop charger.

19.5V written in bold on top
Input:100-240V~1.3A 50-60Hz
Output: 19.5V---4.7A, the dotted line also has straight line above it, I don't know what's that symbol called, can someone help me in calculating how much watts it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi raokhan! welcome to pf! :smile:
raokhan said:
I have this Sony Laptop, the adapter has the following specifications:

These are the input and output values of laptop charger.

19.5V written in bold on top
Input:100-240V~1.3A 50-60Hz
Output: 19.5V---4.7A, the dotted line also has straight line above it, I don't know what's that symbol called, can someone help me in calculating how much watts it is?

~ (as you know) means AC, and that no-overtaking double-line means DC :wink:

for DC, power (in watts) = volts times amps (W = VA),

so in this case the output power is 19.5*4.7 W :smile:

(but i don't know how much extra power is consumed by the charger itself :confused: … chargers can get rather warm!)

1. What is the formula for converting to watts?

The formula for converting to watts is P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

2. How do I convert input values to watts?

To convert input values to watts, you will need to know the voltage and current values. Use the formula P = VI to calculate the power in watts.

3. How do I convert output values to watts?

To convert output values to watts, you will need to know the voltage and current values. Use the formula P = VI to calculate the power in watts.

4. What is the difference between input and output values?

Input values refer to the amount of energy or power being supplied to a system, while output values refer to the amount of energy or power being produced by a system. In terms of converting to watts, input values would be the voltage and current being supplied, while output values would be the power being produced.

5. Can I convert to watts if I only have one value?

No, the formula for converting to watts requires both voltage and current values. If you only have one value, you will not be able to accurately convert to watts.