What are the best resources for learning about car engines and subsystems?

• Thread starter Curl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, this person wants to learn more about cars, engines, and subsystems. They want to learn more about how things are done, and why things are designed the way they are. They want a book that is more advanced, with information about design factors and how they influence car functionality.
Curl
I'm looking to learn more about cars, mostly on engines but also subsystems (steering, brakes, suspension, etc.)

I want to learn how things are done, and things about sensors/electronics, techniques on throttling, fuel injection, shifting, starting, etc.

I'd welcome all suggestions, the more variety the better. I want to learn about all I can.

Engineering news on Phys.org
welcome..
start with Automotive Engineering forum under this forum...

And get the Bosch automotive handbook.

I got the second one (Auto fundamentals) and it is the right idea of what I'm looking for although its too novice level, sort of like for kids. If there is some book of that type but more advanced, I'd really like to know about it.

thanks

If you are wanting my in depth repair etc you will have to go into more specialized books. What are you after exactly?

Anyone starts at the basics and progress from there. Fully understanding each area and not a skim through will build a foundation that will promote a more thorough knowledge base in repairs. One thing a lot don't study often is the automatic transmission and its internal operations during operation.

I already know the foundation and all the basics, I just want a book that is 1 step further. The ones suggested are good, but now I'm looking for the next level up. Ideally I want a book that breaks down systems and components and explains why they were designed the way they are, i.e. what was the motivation and thought process that the engineers had to go through to come up with that design.

I'm not specifically looking for engine history, but talking about past failures and solutions would help. I'll look into that electrical system book, rcremont, thanks.

Curl said:
I already know the foundation and all the basics, I just want a book that is 1 step further. The ones suggested are good, but now I'm looking for the next level up. Ideally I want a book that breaks down systems and components and explains why they were designed the way they are, i.e. what was the motivation and thought process that the engineers had to go through to come up with that design.

I don't think you are going to find exactly what you want, at the level you want.
I find that most books are either aimed at amateur enthusiasts or are extremely dry technical texts. There is a gap in the market for the '2nd level' technical book.

This is because it's so difficult to write a good one, for two reasons:

1. Most things are designed by companies, and what they learn costs them money (ususally from failures), so they try their best to keep design best practice guidelines confidential.

2. There are so many potential designs, and so many factors influencing design decisions and so many compromises, it quickly becomes impossible to sensibly list or discuss them. Especially when a design factor is a subjective criteria.

The Bosch Handbook will probably be closest to the thing you want.

But ultimately, experience is what you are after and you can't get that from a book.

Think about why we design things in general. To make tasks needed to be done quicker, done more efficiently and in the safest manner possible. The simplicity of the design for whatever it may be is most desirable. My grandfather once said, everything changes for the better, remember this progression doesn't happen very fast if each time something is redesigned rather than looking at the first designs faults and fixing them or removing or adding characteristics etc.

1. What are some good books for beginners to learn about cars and engines?

Some great books for beginners include "How Cars Work" by Tom Newton, "Auto Repair For Dummies" by Deanna Sclar, and "Auto Fundamentals" by Martin W. Stockel.

2. Are there any books that focus specifically on engine mechanics?

Yes, "How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Chevy" by David Vizard and "Engine Builder's Handbook" by Tom Monroe are two popular books that focus on engine mechanics in detail.

3. Can you recommend any books that cover the history of cars and engines?

"The History of the Automobile" by Jonathan Wood and "Engines of Change: A History of the American Dream in Fifteen Cars" by Paul Ingrassia are both highly recommended books that cover the history of cars and engines.

4. Are there any books that discuss advanced concepts and technology in the automotive industry?

Yes, "Advanced Automotive Technology" by James D. Halderman and "High Performance Automotive Engines" by John Baechtel are two great resources for learning about advanced concepts and technology in the automotive industry.

5. Are there any books that provide a comprehensive overview of car maintenance and repair?

"Auto Repair and Maintenance" by Dave Stribling and "Automotive Maintenance and Light Repair" by Rob Thompson are two excellent books that cover all aspects of car maintenance and repair.