Small Genset Project - Feedback Request

In summary, the conversation is about building a small genset with a target power output of 3kW, which can be carried by one person. The individual is considering using liquid fuel, either gasoline or diesel, and asks for suggestions on what engine to use. It is suggested that a single cylinder gasoline engine or a 4 cycle motor would be the best option, considering emission rules and weight constraints. The example of Honda's small gensets is mentioned as a good reference point. The conversation also discusses potential improvements and cost-effective options for the project, such as using components from a motorcycle dismantler or a used lawnmower engine. Factors to consider for the project include the desired voltage and frequency for the output.
ElectricPaint
Hello everyone!

I want to do a small project, and would like your thoughts:
I'm going to build a small genset, with a target power output of 3kW, and "one person carry" possibility.

Using liquid fuel, probably gasoline.
Although if diesel is a possibility, that would be interesting to study.

Any thoughts on what engine can be used?
I thought a small engine, like the ones Honda uses in their small power plants.
Honda's small gensets go up to 2kW, and are still "one person carry".

Ideas on what engine to use for this?
Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
For such a small unit, a single cylinder gasoline engine is probably the simplest.
A two cycle motor would be cheapest, but I think emission rules have curtailed their availability, so a 4 cycle motor will probably be the best bet.
A diesel would be substantially heavier, the 20:1 compression mandates hefty cylinder walls.

If I wanted to build a small, lightweight generator I would use the example of Honda and copy their product. I am humble enough to admit that Honda has invested millions of $ and thousands of engineers over many years to create their product, and that I am only one person with limited experience/education. Why would I sit in a vacuum and ignore all the advances they have achieved?

Of course, there is always room for improvements in efficiency. I suggest you look for ways to improve existing "top of the line" gensets.

Without knowing your constraints (i.e., cost, time, fabrication capabilities), it's hard know exactly what might be helpful. If it was my own project, I'd probably begin by going to a motorcycle dismantler (junk yard) and check the prices of available engines. It won't do any good to have a 3kw generator if you can't afford a big enough engine to spin it.

You should decide what you want to use it for first...what voltage do you want...or are your trying to charge 12 volt batteries, for example?

3kw PORTBLE from miscellaneous components may not be so easy...HONDA has carefully matched components.

1 hp is about 3/4 KW...so you'll need about 4 of those units to generate 3 kw...a four HP engine or a bit larger...I think a typical 22" lawn mower engine is about that size...check to be sure...so you could probably get a used four cycle engine cheap from a lawnmower shop.

And if you are charging 12 volt batteries, maybe a used alternator from an automobile. You should also consiuder the rated engine RPM...if you want longer life, a engine rated at 1800 RPM will likely do better than one run at 3,600 RPM. You'll to generate about 14 volts for actual charge.

If you are trying to generate alternating current, for household, that's 60 hertz in the US and 50 hertz in Europe, so you'll have to control the engine RPM to get the output frequency you want.

1. What is the purpose of the Small Genset Project?

The Small Genset Project aims to develop a small, portable generator that can provide reliable and sustainable power for remote locations or emergency situations.

2. How does the Small Genset Project work?

The Small Genset Project utilizes a combination of renewable energy sources, such as solar panels or wind turbines, and a backup diesel or gasoline-powered generator. The renewable energy sources charge a battery bank, which can then power the generator when needed.

3. What are the key features of the Small Genset Project?

The key features of the Small Genset Project include its portability, ability to use renewable energy sources, and its reliability in providing power in remote or emergency situations. It also has an easy-to-use interface and can be monitored and controlled remotely.

4. How does the Small Genset Project compare to traditional generators?

The Small Genset Project offers several advantages over traditional generators, including its use of renewable energy sources, lower emissions, and quieter operation. It is also more compact and lightweight, making it easier to transport to different locations.

5. What is the potential impact of the Small Genset Project?

The Small Genset Project has the potential to provide sustainable and reliable power to communities in remote areas or during emergencies. It can also reduce reliance on fossil fuels and decrease carbon emissions, contributing to a more sustainable future.