Bending of a curved beam to protect a tank nozzle

In summary: I found that the deflection was roughly .5 m when the tank was dropped from 1 m. This corresponds to a force of 120000 N. The thickness of the flat bar, in this case, should be about 12000 mm to avoid bending and give a clearance of about 4 cm.
dave319
In the tank building industry some pressure vessels use curved pieces of flat bar, welded to the tank, to protect nozzles in the event that the tank rolls. I'm trying to determine how thick the flat bar should be for a given length so that it won't bend too much and allow a nozzle to be damaged (this could result in a leak). I initially made a lot of simplifying assumptions using simple beam bending equations but the amount of deflection I got didn't make any sense.

The 500 gal tank when full has a total mass of about 4000 kg. I decided to be more conservative and be a little easier on myself by assuming that the tank is actually being dropped from the height of its diameter instead of rolling. The diameter is about 1 m. This results in a velocity of about 4.43 m/s at the point of impact with the ground. The kinetic energy is 39250 J.

Next I accounted for a maximum allowable deflection of about .1 m (roughly 4 inches) and the cage will experience a force of 392500 N. This will provide enough clearance for the nozzle and is about 30 g's.

Since my background is chemical engineering not structural or mechanical, the next step of determining how thick the piece of flat bar needs to be is a little beyond my expertise being that I don’t believe it can be treated as a simple beam. I have attached a picture to help illustrate what I've written above. I appreciate your input.

Attachments

• 500 gal Tank Guard Model (1).jpg
    500 gal Tank Guard Model (1).jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 448
Engineering news on Phys.org
Unless I'm mistaken, you don't have just a flat piece of metal, you have a structure. At least, if I'm reading the drawing correctly.

In that case, you'll have to do some more math to determine the reactions at the various points along the structure.

Yes you are correct. I'm interested in the behavior of the flat bar that has been curved and welded to the tank to create a type of cage. A simplifying assumption would be that the force is directed at the center of the curved bar (L/2). This is a little beyond the statics/dynamics class I took so if you can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

1. What is the purpose of bending a curved beam to protect a tank nozzle?

The purpose of bending a curved beam is to provide structural support and protection to a tank nozzle, which is a vulnerable area that can be damaged by external forces or corrosive substances. The curved beam helps distribute the stress and strain on the tank nozzle, preventing it from cracking or becoming deformed.

2. How does a curved beam protect a tank nozzle?

A curved beam acts as a barrier between the tank nozzle and potential sources of damage. It absorbs and distributes external forces, such as wind or impact, to prevent them from directly impacting the nozzle. The curvature of the beam also helps resist bending and twisting forces that can cause damage to the nozzle.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting a curved beam for tank nozzle protection?

When selecting a curved beam for tank nozzle protection, factors such as material strength, corrosion resistance, and compatibility with the tank material should be considered. The size and shape of the tank nozzle, as well as the potential external forces it may be exposed to, should also be taken into account.

4. Can any type of curved beam be used for tank nozzle protection?

No, not all curved beams are suitable for tank nozzle protection. The beam must be able to withstand the expected external forces and be compatible with the tank material. It is important to consult with a structural engineer or refer to industry standards to determine the appropriate type of curved beam for a specific tank nozzle.

5. Are there any maintenance or inspection requirements for curved beams used to protect tank nozzles?

Yes, regular maintenance and inspection are important for ensuring the continued effectiveness of curved beams in protecting tank nozzles. The beams should be checked for any signs of damage or corrosion and repaired or replaced as needed. Regular cleaning and coating with anti-corrosion materials may also be necessary.