What are muscle spasms and how do you make them go away?

• Thread starter misskitty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Muscle
In summary: It's not always clear. The pain can be from the sudden spasm itself, or from the inflammation and burning that accompany it.In summary, muscle spasms are involuntary contractions of a muscle. They can be caused by fatigue, stress, and caffeine, and can sometimes be painful. To make them go away, you can stretch the muscle, message it, and drink plenty of water.
misskitty
What are muscle spasms and how do you make them go away?

Biology news on Phys.org
Muscle spasms are involuntary contractions of a muscle. A muscle cramp is also considered a muscle spasm.
By the title of your post, you also say twitch A twitch is a form of muscle spasm but much smaller.

I have had a muscle twitch in my eylid on occasion.
The following online ref, has a good discussion of this kind of spasm.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000756.htm

"The most common things that make the muscle in your eyelid twitch are fatigue, stress, and caffeine. Once spasms begin, they may continue off and on for a few days. Then, they disappear. Most people experience this type of eyelid twitch on occasion and find it very annoying. In most cases, you won't even notice when the twitch has stopped."

They said the most common things to cause this are fatigue, stress and caffeine.. I used to get them right before exams, and i am certain all three of these factors were affecting me :biggrin: After exams were over, they went away.

The other form of muscle spasm is a cramp (in the leg often called a charley horse). A spasm can occur from injury and also by strenuous exercise without rehydrating your body. I have gotten those kind after vigorous exercise of muscles i haven't used in a while.

I was taught, the way to make them go away is to stretch the muscle, also messaging the muscle and drink plenty of water (preferably with electrolytes)..

Here is one page that gives a good description of this type of spasm and how to make them go away:
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/aha_musspasm_sma.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Electrical misfires. Ions accumulate locally and trigger involuntary muscle contractions.

What makes them painful? All that stuff makes sense, but why are they painful sometime? Especially in the larges muscle groups...like back muscles and leg muscles.

What are muscle spasms?

Muscle spasms are involuntary contractions of one or more muscles. They can occur in any muscle in the body, but are most common in the legs, arms, and back.

What causes muscle spasms?

Muscle spasms can be caused by a variety of factors, including dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, overuse of muscles, nerve damage, and certain medical conditions such as multiple sclerosis or Parkinson's disease.

How do you make muscle spasms go away?

The best way to make muscle spasms go away is to gently stretch and massage the affected muscle. Applying heat or ice can also help relax the muscle and reduce spasms. In some cases, over-the-counter pain relievers or muscle relaxants may be helpful.

When should I seek medical attention for muscle spasms?

If muscle spasms are frequent, severe, or accompanied by other symptoms such as weakness or numbness, it is important to seek medical attention. Muscle spasms can sometimes be a sign of an underlying medical condition that requires treatment.

Can muscle spasms be prevented?

In some cases, muscle spasms can be prevented by staying hydrated, maintaining a healthy diet with adequate electrolytes, and stretching regularly. Avoiding overuse or straining of muscles can also help prevent spasms. If spasms are a symptom of an underlying condition, following a treatment plan prescribed by a doctor may help prevent future spasms.