Does the type of energy depend on the particle carying it?

In summary: G. Magnuson and Joseph L. Burton, Electricity and Light: A Historical Survey (McGraw-Hill, NY, 1959)In summary, hexhunter says that all types of energy rely on matter to exist, but that they are not distinguishable in the sense that one can say "Ah look at that, it's Kinetic Energy!" Energy comes in different "roles" or "types" which are closely related to the affects of the energy.
hexhunter
does the type of energy depend on the particle carying it?

assuming that electricity is carried by electrons and light is carried by photons, do all types of energy rely on matter to exist?

and can one type of particle carry several types of energy?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"types of energy"?

i've never heard such thing before.

Electricity is a very loose definition. Do you mean Current? Voltage? Charge?

I wouldn't say light is carried by photons either. Rather, light/em radiation can be described in terms of photons.

Also a photon is not matter. Matter has mass, and as far as we know, photons have no mass.

So by this logic, no energy does not rely on matter to exist.
But I do not know what you mean by types of energy.

A particle can have energy from it's momentum(kinetic energy), and it would have a zero point energy. If it was in a potential well, that would also be taken into account. But they are not distinguishable in the sense you can say "Ah look at that, it's Kinetic Energy!"

by types i meant chemical/electrical/light/thermal

sorry I am only 15, so anything i don't get i probably haven't been taught, but from what I've picked up, energy is 'carried' by electrons in circuits

hexhunter said:
by types i meant chemical/electrical/light/thermal

i see... these names refer to the "role"s of energy, closely related to affects of the energy, not types of energy.

there has been different discussions on nature of energy, such as existence of negative energy, dark matter, etc. but these topics are beyond my current knowledge (well, I'm a student, not a prof).

fdarkangel,

You are incorrect. It is perfectly acceptable to call chemical potential, gravitational potential, sound, heat, etc. "types" of energy.

hexhunter,

There are two issues. One, the term "energy" means only "the ability to do work." Energy does not necessarily have anything to do with particles, mass, or matter. Sure, bowling balls have mass, and they carry kinetic energy when they're thrown down a lane, but that doesn't mean all energy requires mass. Light, for example, has no mass, but certainly has energy. Magnetic fields can store energy, but they're made of neither atoms nor photons nor particles of any kind -- they have nothing to do with matter at all, but they can still store energy. If a system has energy, it just means that the system is configured in a way that work can be done, and that's the most definite definition that anyone can give you.

The second issue, which kirovman pointed out, is that the word "electricity" is a sloppy word commonly used to mean any of at least six different precise things.

- Warren

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between the type of energy and the particle carrying it?

The type of energy and the particle carrying it are closely related. The type of energy is determined by the properties and behavior of the particle carrying it. For example, electromagnetic energy is carried by photons, while thermal energy is carried by atomic and molecular particles.

2. How does the type of energy affect the behavior of the particle carrying it?

The type of energy can greatly affect the behavior of the particle carrying it. For example, light particles (photons) can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior depending on the type of energy they carry. Additionally, the type of energy can determine the speed and direction of the particle's movement.

3. Can particles carry more than one type of energy?

Yes, particles can carry multiple types of energy simultaneously. This is evident in the case of thermal energy, which can be carried by the kinetic energy of particles as well as the potential energy of their bonds.

4. How is the type of energy determined for a given particle?

The type of energy carried by a particle is determined by its properties, such as mass, charge, and spin. These properties dictate the interactions the particle can have with other particles and fields, which in turn determine the type of energy it can carry.

5. Can the type of energy change for a particle?

Yes, the type of energy carried by a particle can change. This can happen through interactions with other particles or fields, which can transfer or transform the energy carried by the particle. For example, a photon can be absorbed by an atom, changing its energy from electromagnetic to thermal.