Electric Field in 3 Parallel Plates

In summary, the electric field at point A can be found by using the equation E=σ/2ε, where E is the electric field, σ is the net free charge, and ε is the permittivity of the medium. Alternatively, if a Gaussian box is used, the electric field can be found by dividing the net free charge by the product of the permittivity and the area of the flux box. Both methods result in the same answer of (3/2)σ/ε for the electric field at point A.
Broem

Homework Statement

What is the electric field at point A in the unit of σ/ε0?

Homework Equations

E=σ/2ε

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to make sure my thinking behind this is correct.
From the center we have +5σ. To find the A what I did is subtract the other two -σ from the 5: this gives me 5-1-1 = 3.
From here I just plug in: 3σ/2ε which in the units = 1.5 σ/ε

Is this the correct approach?

Attachments

• three-plates-exam.jpg
    three-plates-exam.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,158
Physics news on Phys.org
Yep.

Alternative sol'n: if you put a Gaussian box of area = 1m^2 and running from A to D, the inside net free charge is 3σ C and the total flux area is 2 m^2 (no flux out the other 4 sides if the plates are infinite in dimension).

That would make εE*2m^2 = 3σ so E = (3/2)σ/ε. Same answer!

1. What is an electric field in 3 parallel plates?

An electric field in 3 parallel plates refers to the distribution of electric charges across three flat, parallel conducting plates. It is created by applying a voltage difference between the plates, causing the charges to move and create an electric field between them.

2. How is the electric field strength calculated in this system?

The electric field strength in this system can be calculated by dividing the voltage difference between the plates by the distance between them. This can also be expressed as the ratio of the electric potential difference to the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the electric field in 3 parallel plates?

The electric field in 3 parallel plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the voltage difference applied, and the material of the plates. The distance and voltage difference directly impact the strength of the electric field, while the material of the plates can affect the distribution of charges and the overall behavior of the electric field.

4. How does the electric field change if the plates are not parallel?

If the plates are not parallel, the electric field will still exist between them, but it will not be as uniform as it would be in a system with parallel plates. The electric field lines will be distorted and the strength may vary in different regions between the plates.

5. What are some real-world applications of 3 parallel plate electric fields?

3 parallel plate electric fields have many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, capacitors, and electron microscopes. They are also used in electrostatic precipitators to remove particles from gas streams, and in deflection systems for cathode ray tubes.