Spacecraft path with polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses a circular gate rotating at a constant angular speed and a craft with four thrusters that needs to pass through the gate without being destroyed by "slosh" in the fuel tank. The position and movement of the craft are described using complex numbers, and the acceleration needed to successfully pass through the gate is derived. However, the approach is found to be incorrect and a new solution is suggested.
joeblow
There is a circular gate rotating at a constant angular speed of ω. The circular gate has a tunnel across its diameter. The mission is to pass through the gate. (That is, come in one side of the gate, travel the whole diameter, and exit at the other side.)

Also, craft is neutrally buoyant, the craft has four thrusters (in the i, -i, j, and -j directions), and sudden movements cause "slosh" in the fuel tank that destroys the craft.

My thought was to describe the position of the craft in the complex plane [tex] z=r \cdot e^{i\theta}[/tex] where r and θ depend on time t. Let's say at time 0 the craft is in front of the tunnel opening.

Differentiating once, I get [tex] v = (\dot r +i r \dot \theta)e^{i\theta} [/tex]
which describes a velocity of [tex]\dot r[/tex] in the radial direction and a velocity of [tex] r \dot \theta[/tex] in the perpendicular direction.

Differentiating again, I get [tex] a = (\ddot r - r {\dot \theta}^2 )+i(2\dot r \dot \theta + r \ddot \theta)] e^{i\theta}[/tex] which has the familiar expressions for acceleration in the radial and perpendicular directions.

Now, [tex] \dot \theta = \omega [/tex] which is constant. We also want to move smoothly, so we want the radial speed to be constant as well. Thus, our acceleration is [tex]a = [(-r \omega^2) + i(2\dot r \dot \theta + r \ddot \theta)]e^{i\theta}.[/tex]

Now, all that matters is that the craft gets through the tunnel, so I set [tex]\dot r \equiv -1[/tex] until the craft gets to the center and then [tex] \dot r \equiv 1 [/tex] after we get to the center.

Thus, the acceleration before getting to the center is [tex] a = [(-r {\dot \theta}^2)+i(-2\omega)]e^{i\theta}.[/tex]

Since the thrusters are in the i and j directions, I multiply the expression out, substitute cosθ = x/r, and sinθ = y/r, and r = √x^2+y^2 to obtain [tex]\left(-\omega^2 \cdot x+2\omega \cdot \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\right)+i \left(-\omega^2 \cdot y - 2\omega \frac {x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} \right)[/tex].

Of course, the real part represents the horizontal acceleration and the imaginary part gives the vertical.

The thrust would then be given by the mass times the acceleration.

This is apparently incorrect, since I have run it on a simulation. Does anyone see where I went wrong?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Your approach is generally correct, the thrusters need to cancel the centrifugal and coriolis forces in the non-inertial frame. However, I think a better approach might be first to solve the problem with time as the parameter and match initial conditions. You are missing the important point that the velocity cannot be anything. The craft needs to exit when the "exit" end of the tunnel is on the "other" side.

Last edited:

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they used to describe spacecraft paths?

Polar coordinates are a system of coordinates that is commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe the position or path of an object in a plane. They consist of a radial distance from a central point and an angle measured from a fixed reference line. In spacecraft navigation, polar coordinates are often used to describe the spacecraft's position and trajectory in relation to a central body, such as a planet or star.

2. How are spacecraft paths calculated and plotted using polar coordinates?

The trajectory of a spacecraft can be calculated and plotted using a combination of polar coordinates and mathematical equations. These equations take into account the gravitational forces of the central body, the spacecraft's velocity and acceleration, and other factors that may affect the path. Once the calculations are done, the resulting path can be plotted on a polar coordinate system, providing a visual representation of the spacecraft's trajectory.

3. Can polar coordinates be used to navigate spacecraft to specific locations in space?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used to navigate spacecraft to specific locations in space. By plotting the desired destination on a polar coordinate system and calculating the necessary trajectory, scientists and engineers can guide the spacecraft to its intended location. This method is often used in space missions, such as sending probes to other planets or moons.

4. What advantages do polar coordinates offer for spacecraft navigation?

One advantage of using polar coordinates for spacecraft navigation is that they allow for easy visualization of the spacecraft's path and position. Additionally, they can be used to accurately calculate trajectories and guide spacecraft to specific locations in space. Another advantage is that polar coordinates are well-suited for describing circular or elliptical orbits, which are common in space travel.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates for spacecraft navigation?

While polar coordinates are useful for many aspects of spacecraft navigation, they do have some limitations. For example, they are not as effective for describing complex, non-linear paths such as those encountered during orbital maneuvers. In these cases, other systems, such as Cartesian coordinates, may be used in conjunction with polar coordinates to provide a more comprehensive description of the spacecraft's path.