Understanding the Force on a Charged Hemisphere Using the Stress Tensor

In summary, the author is having trouble finding the force on the northern hemisphere of a uniformly charged solid sphere by the southern hemisphere. They use the stress tensor and find \vec(T)_z_x=\epsilon_o/2\((Q/4\pi\epsilon_0R)^2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)cos(\phi) and \vec(T)_z_y=\epsilon_o/2\((Q/4\pi\epsilon_0R)^2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)sin(\phi) but they get a cos^3 instead of just a cos.
Dathascome
I'm having some trouble with an example in griffiths book about using the stress tensor. The problem is to find the force on the northern hemisphere of a uniformly charged solid sphere by the southern hemisphere. Charge Q, radius R. I understand that we will only need the zx, zy, and zz components of the tensor, and I can get those without a problem. The problem I have is with taking [tex](\vec(T) \cdot \vec(da))_z[/tex]( sorry I don't know how to right T as a tensor and not a vector). In the book they get [tex](\vec(T) \cdot \vec(da))_z=\epsilon_o/2\((Q/4\pi\epsilon_0R)^2\sin(\theta)cos(\theta)d\theta\ d\phi[/tex]

Where as I'm getting a cos ^3 instead of just a cos, and I can't see why.
I know that [tex]da=R^2sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi \hat{r}[/tex]
where [tex]\hat{r}=sin(\theta)cos(\phi)\hat{x}+sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\hat{y}+cos(\theta)\hat{z}[/tex]and that [tex]\epsilon_o/2\((Q/4\pi\epsilon_0R)^2[/tex]
along with
[tex]\vec(T)_z_x=\epsilon_o/2\((Q/4\pi\epsilon_0R)^2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)cos(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]\vec(T)_z_y=\epsilon_o/2\((Q/4\pi\epsilon_0R)^2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]\vec(T)_z_y=\epsilon_o/2\((Q/4\pi\epsilon_0R)^2(cos(\theta)^2+sin(\theta)^2)[/tex]

So I take the dot product of each T_zx with da_x and the same with the other components but I don't cos, I get cos^3 for some reason.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...hope this wasn't too confusing o:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just wanted to bump this back up...I messed up and hit submit before finishing. I hope someone really reads it this time :frown:

Are you sure you copied the tensor components correctly? In my book there is only an [itex]\epsilon_0/2[/itex] in front of Tzz. The other components just have an [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex].

Doh...I think I did copy it wrong...let me do it over and see what happens.
Usually it's the first thing I check...I hate making stupid mistakes like that :mad:

1. What is Maxwell's stress tensor?

Maxwell's stress tensor is a mathematical quantity used in continuum mechanics to describe the stress state of a material at a specific point. It is a 3x3 matrix that relates the force acting on a surface to the surface's orientation and the deformation of the material.

2. Who developed the concept of Maxwell's stress tensor?

The concept of Maxwell's stress tensor was developed by the Scottish physicist and mathematician James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century. He used it to explain the properties of electromagnetic fields.

3. What is the significance of Maxwell's stress tensor in materials science?

Maxwell's stress tensor is an important tool in materials science as it allows for the accurate prediction and analysis of stress and strain in a material. It also helps in understanding the mechanical behavior of materials under different loading conditions.

4. How is Maxwell's stress tensor related to other stress measures?

Maxwell's stress tensor is closely related to other stress measures such as Cauchy stress tensor, Kirchhoff stress tensor, and Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor. These tensors can be derived from Maxwell's stress tensor by applying certain transformations.

5. In what applications is Maxwell's stress tensor commonly used?

Maxwell's stress tensor has various applications in engineering and physics, such as in the analysis of fluid flow, structural mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is also used in the study of viscoelastic materials and in the development of computer simulations of material behavior.