What is the intensity of this light?

In summary: However, in order to obtain this expression, a factor of [ tex ] 2 \pi [ /tex ] seems to be missing in the derivation.
Gavroy
I am struggling with a derivation that calculates the cross sections for Mie scattering and since the incident light is considered to be a x-polarized plane wave I thought that we would have[ tex ] I_i = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\frac{\epsilon}{\mu}} \vert E_0 \vert^2 [ /tex ] , but I do not understand this derivation then, since a factor [ tex ] 2 \pi [ /tex ] seems to be missing.

It starts with an expression for the scattered field, explains how they got this expression by using some orthogonality properties and then - in my opinion argue - that this [ tex ] Re(g_n)[ /tex ]. But then I do not understand what they take as the incident intensity in order to get the expression [ tex ]C_{sca} [ /tex ] Does anybody have an idea?!

Attachments

• Intensity.jpg
    Intensity.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 367
Science news on Phys.org
The expression for the scattered field is given by:[tex] E_s = \frac{2 \pi k^2}{\epsilon_0 c} \sum_{n=1}^\infty Re(g_n) E_0 \hat{e_s} [ /tex ]where [ tex ] g_n = \frac{a_n + b_n}{a_n - b_n} [ /tex ] is the Mie coefficient. The expression for [ tex ] g_n [ /tex ] can be obtained from the orthogonality properties of the spherical harmonics and the incident and scattered fields. Using this expression for [ tex ]E_s[ /tex ], the total scattering cross section [ tex ] C_{sca} [ /tex ] is given by:[ tex ] C_{sca} = \frac{\pi}{k^2} \vert \sum_{n=1}^\infty Re(g_n) \vert^2 I_i [ /tex ]where [ tex ] I_i [ /tex ] is the incident intensity.

What is the intensity of this light?

1. How is intensity of light measured?

Intensity of light is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²). Other units such as lumens or lux can also be used to measure intensity, depending on the type of light source.

2. What factors affect the intensity of light?

The intensity of light can be affected by distance from the light source, the angle at which the light hits a surface, and the wavelength (color) of the light. Additionally, the medium through which the light passes, such as air or water, can also affect intensity.

3. How does the intensity of light impact visibility?

The intensity of light can greatly impact visibility, with higher intensities allowing for better visibility. For example, a brighter light source will make objects appear clearer and more defined compared to a dimmer light source.

4. Can the intensity of light be too high?

Yes, the intensity of light can be too high and can potentially cause damage to the human eye. This is why it is important to use appropriate protective gear when working with high intensity light sources.

5. How can the intensity of light be controlled?

The intensity of light can be controlled by adjusting the distance from the light source, using filters or diffusers to change the angle or wavelength of the light, or by using dimming or brightness settings on light sources. Additionally, controlling the power source can also impact the intensity of light emitted.